Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

a nice screw has found its way into the fleshy part of my still very pristine rear tyre....will deal with the puncture tomorrow and get the tube replaced...would a screw neatly screwed into the tyre compromise the tyre`s performance though....the screw itself seems to be a smallish one have not screwed it out of the tyre though....

the plan;

1. pump the tyre up enough, possibly using tyre weld, to get me to the tyre place (5 minutes away)...

2. replace the inner tube

3.possibly avoid changing the tyre :D:D:D...can it be done?

R.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bugger! hate it when that happens....

So long as its on the middle third of the tyre personally I would still use it but put a patch on the inside, old inner tube cut up and glued double thickness with impact adhesive. On tubeless tyres you use a plug not sure if that would work on this??

But usual rules, if in doubt throw it out :thumbright:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks,

given that i dont trust the ethics and professionalism of local tyre repair shops, what should i look out for to help my decide whether to keep the tyre or not...things like the diameter of the hole etc?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Likelyhood is as soon as you take the screw out you won't even see the hole. If you have the tyre off check the inside, run your fingers over it, if anything sharp bin the tyre if smooth patch, new heavy duty tube and crack on.

Had a new tubeless tyre and got a screw in it, so tightened the screw in, bit of slime and job done, got the full life out of it.

As I said if you are in a moments doubt bin the tyre and its only what I would do but then I'm happy changing my own tubes.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Don't fill it with tyre weld otherwise it'll get very messy inside the wheel. Take the wheel off and take it to the tyre place. They'll unscrew the screw and just re-tube it. I've never heard of patching on the inside of a tubed tyre before.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've never heard of patching on the inside of a tubed tyre before.
Only ever done that on the enduro / mx bikes to stop water getting in and rotting the rims :) Unless you are wading probably not worth it...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only ever done that on the enduro / mx bikes to stop water getting in and rotting the rims :) Unless you are wading probably not worth it...
:D:Ddifficult here to "wade"....our trail riding is mostly dust and rocks...it does get muddy sometimes, but at my skill level, its not mud inside my rims i have to worry about but mud inside my helmet :toothy10::toothy10:

·
Registered
76 Posts
but at my skill level, its not mud inside my rims i have to worry about but mud inside my helmet :toothy10::toothy10:
Hey I never said I could ride em either :toothy10::toothy10: Just like messing about with em....

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys...

puncture fixed....do you guys get "mechanic" types putting you down?

told the guy working on my wheel that the spacers on the rear wheel axle where not the same and the axle had to go in in a particular direction...he goes"nah...all bikes are the same, they can go on either way" then after 15 minutes of trying to get it on his way, he finally listens to me and lo and behold the rear wheel is free and turns properly....doh!!

R.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Every puntcher is different when looking at repairing the tyre or tube, At the moment my rear Metzeler toutance on my GSA has had two metal shards,one nail, one screws, one two inch thorn and its newest member arrived yesterday another bloody screw. So when I remove the tyre and screw I will patch the tyre and run down the remaining five mill of tread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts