Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv'e got the rear cylinder valve cover off as I am pretty sure the gasket was weeping I got a whiff off burning oil some time last summer when I parked up. When I had the shock off last week I noticed a smear of engine oil on top of the exhaust manifold so thought I had better have look at it, the ribs on the gasket are a little flatter where it sits right above the ex. manifold so I guess that is where they eventually fail with the heat?

Was going to get the gasket plus the small one that is round the plug access and the O ring for the coolant manifold, is there anything else I should be getting or looking at while Im'e doing this? V4650 alp is 13 years old this year low miles at 27,000 odd and apart from normal servicing its the first thing its needed I reckon that's not bad. Any advise appreciated.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
A new cover gasket will sort it, they go hard and brittle.
Tie it in with a full service plugs, coolant, valves, air filter, choke valve/cable strip and lube while you are in there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A new cover gasket will sort it, they go hard and brittle.
Tie it in with a full service plugs, coolant, valves, air filter, choke valve/cable strip and lube while you are in there.
Thanks for the advice I will check the plugs I checked the valves last year and were OK chokes are totally free and clean. I put a K&N air filter in a while ago and it still looks pretty clean. Got to say I must be getting old and out of touch :) as when I phoned Padgets I got a right bloody shock at the price of the gasket, just short of twenty quid with the vat! and then there's the O ring for the coolant manifold. I had thought about doing the front one while Im'e there but it sort of goes against the grain to strip it when its not leaking.

Just out of interest I wondered if you or anyone else have ever tried a gasket sealer on the existing gasket, if there wasn't all that time pulling the bike apart to get to it I think I would have tried it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I changed my front when I was in there but there really was no need as it was fine.
Use a bit of sealant to hold the gasket to the cover.

Sealing up the old gasket may work but I feel replacement is worthwhile.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just out of interest I wondered if you or anyone else have ever tried a gasket sealer on the existing gasket, if there wasn't all that time pulling the bike apart to get to it I think I would have tried it.
When I bought my 600 it was leaking from the rear rocker cover, not wanting to strip it (I wanted to go and ride my new toy!) I just lifted the the cover and app;ied a very thin smear of instant gasket along the rear edge, which was where it was leaking from. I knew it would only be a temporary fix, that was over 10,000 miles ago and it hasn't leaked since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I bought my 600 it was leaking from the rear rocker cover, not wanting to strip it (I wanted to go and ride my new toy!) I just lifted the the cover and app;ied a very thin smear of instant gasket along the rear edge, which was where it was leaking from. I knew it would only be a temporary fix, that was over 10,000 miles ago and it hasn't leaked since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That's good to know and thanks :thumbup: if my front starts to leak I will be sorely tempted to try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts