Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
The mirrors on my Alp do the same job and it's not going to be too useful with a pillion.

Riding my Pan or ZZR though, both of which have worse mirrors, it'd be invaluable at seeing whether Plod is in hot pursuit! :D :confused:

That's a considerable advantage and I'm delighted to see an example of British ingenuity actually getting into production, but I'm not so sure about the safety aspect the Australian doctor is so keen to emphasise.

I might though. I just might...

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
That looks like a fantastic piece of kit for thee track. However, on the road at night, how do you stop some cupid stunt behind from dazzling you by using full beam on in the dark? Where is the handy dip lever?

This would be cheaper...
YouTube - DIY Bicycle helmet rear view mirror
That's a good point. Perhaps he could do with some Beta testers to fine tune the design and bring up real issues?

Shouldn't be too difficult for the manufacturer to add a flip/slide down anti dazzle filter for night use.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
My main concern with it is you may forget to check your blind spot or mirrors as often and that you could get distracted by someone too close behind you.
Maybe, but when I get out a van and into a car, I don't get less safe for having a better view of what's behind me. Instinctively I agree with you, but when I think about it, increasingly it seems it can never be a bad thing to have more visual information available so long as it doesn't actually distract (and the helmet mirror seems small enough to be ignored unless you want it).

When four wheel braking was introduced in the early years of motoring, advocates of two wheel braking argued it would diminish skills of thinking ahead and would lead to rear-end shunts from vehicles with brakes on two wheels only. Consider who won THAT argument!!! :p This could be a VHS/Betamax issue, but it might be that we all end up with Reevu-equivalents...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Interesting. I started off feeling pretty sceptical, but I'd be very tempted to try one now I've seen that vid.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
im a bit sceptical too, i think you could lose vital seconds figuring out what direction the threat is coming from.
or it might just be like the mirror in the car, you get used to it. i would have to try one first before i give it the thumbs up (or down, lets keep an open mind)

P

·
0 Posts
2.000.000 £ and 10 years to develop a mirror ?

Why do they always have to exaggerate like that ?

The idea isn't new either 3-4 years ago a bicycle company launched a bike helmet like that. I tried it, but he mirrors were not good enough.
This could be fixed, but there must also be some kind of adjustment as a sports rider sits differently from an enduro rider.

The field of view is also quite narrow and that forces you to hold your head in one position, which isn't neccessarily the position where you relax best.

I think a tiltable camera with zoom would be better.

·
Registered
779 Posts
By using optics there's no need to refocus. If the image where displayed on a screen then your eyes would have to focus between far off and something 2 inches close to your eyes every time you adjusted your view- bad news!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
...The field of view is also quite narrow and that forces you to hold your head in one position, which isn't neccessarily the position where you relax best.

So we have the choice between
  • a camera, motorised mount, screen, wires, batteries, charger, some form of controller to allow you to tilt and zoom using either the hand that operates the throttle/brake or the one that operates the clutch;
    or
  • a mirror, you turn your head to look around.
:confused:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
The idea isn't new either 3-4 years ago a bicycle company launched a bike helmet like that
Yes you are quite correct and that company was..............Reevu:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
2.000.000 £ and 10 years to develop a mirror ?

Why do they always have to exaggerate like that ?

The idea isn't new either 3-4 years ago a bicycle company launched a bike helmet like that. I tried it, but he mirrors were not good enough.
Yes you are quite correct and that company was..............Reevu:thumbup:
Mirror optics have improved in the interim.
Is there much difference between this and the conventional mirrors, as for view?

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
They're on sale at http://rearview-helmets.com/ and mine is on its way!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Presumably they have worked out how to stop a sweaty head like mine:D - or rain, damp from misting up the optics?:confused:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Why are they trading in Euros on the web site? That seems a bit odd for a UK based company.
Ah sperk to them aboot that (they are Geordies). They've done the R&D on a shoestring and in the fine tradition of British invention, haven't really done their planning about selling the things. There's no distribution network and they can't cope with orders other than via paypal, even though they could cut the price doing it direct. The impression I get is that they haven't got the staff to process orders and payments.

As they want to sell Europe-wide, it is easier just to have one price and let paypal sort out the rest for them. It's irritating as it probably puts £20 on the price but I like the product and like to support small UK businesses so I'm not fussed.

Presumably they have worked out how to stop a sweaty head like mine:D - or rain, damp from misting up the optics?:confused:
Presumably, but if not, it's still a fabulous innovation for nine months of the year!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts