Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great outcome, delighted to hear you got it sorted and the bike lives on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK, thats it.. all working now!

So the issue I had, was that the replacement FMX engine that I transplanted into my 1996 NX650, has a different Pulse Boss on the Primary drive.. the Boss on the FMX650 is very different to the Boss on the NX650 and provides 5 sparks per rotation instead of just 1. Symptoms included, irregular idle, not being able to run over 1/4 throttle, and a spark plug that clearly is sparking too many times per revolution.

The bike passed its MOT today and I have subsequently done 20 miles..

It does cut out at idle, and this is a lean mixture setting.. I will give it a 1/2 turn out later to richen it up, but that's all minor now.. the bike runs..

I cant thank you chaps enough for the help, especially 'Bungle', who knew what it was!!... I literally rebuilt the bike in 2 months, and then spent 2 months taking out and rejetting the carb like 10 times thinking it was a carb issue, when all the time it was a Pulse Generator issue..

I have performed Daves mods, and left the pilot jet richer at 55, and the main jet richer at 158. Originally was a 50 idle and a 145 main.

I've got an aftermarket oil cooler that I may install by splicing into the oil return pipe, as it hit 100 degrees celsius on the road, and the engine is HOT, if I'm off road at higher revs it will probably need additional cooling..

Happy riding!

Here she is.. in all her glory..

MOT history..
2008 38,441 miles
2009 40,090 miles
2011 40,990 miles
purchased June 2014 - and rebuilt - engine replaced with running FMX with 20k on the clock, original engine had sludge oil and low compression.
8th May 2019 42,758 miles
And shes back.. to live another life! .. I love saving old bikes!! ;-)

View attachment 137581
Good news, had my suspicions that was the most likely cause of the problem
Although, iirc, it was Bounder who actually hit the nail on the head here, with the actual problem part
But, anyway, thanks for coming back and letting us know :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oops, Sorry my bad.. I got confused with 'Bounder' and 'Bungle' and thought they were the same person!

I stand corrected - and wish to thank everyone, but mostly Bungle for identifying the issue, and Bounder for clarifying it.

;-)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts