Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any recommendations on a home cinema system.
I'm no movie buff or audiophile but mine has just died and am playing sound through the flat screen and its crap!
So I need to get something sorted.
Looking at the budget end of the market say up to £300 and ideally want Blueray player as well, although not essential.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I bought the 'Which' best buy a few years ago and it's well cheap and out performed the more expensive stuff.

Not only am I pleased with it, my mates heard it and went straight out and bought the same one. The good sound quality and cheap price mean you don't get things like slow motion, but what I do like is the fact it remembers about 6 discs back, so I can swap discs and it will got straight to where I left watching before.

It was a Phillips HTS 3154

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Bit of a sucker for this stuff! seperates or all-in-one? if you want future-proof, you need an amp that supports blueray audio-
ie : Dts High Res Audio / dts Master Audio / Hdmi Audio / DTS HD.
ALSO HDMI 1.4 will support the new 3d screens.
USB inputs are a great feature, as is 1080p upscaling which will upscale a normal DVD, DIGIBOX etc. Put all your leads into the back of the Amp, then just 1 lead(video) to the TV. Built-in SD card sockets are available on some.

The early playstation 3 is blueray player as well as a games machine, but it didnt support the audio, corrected with software later.
Blueray players are coming down in price sony/samsung £80,
All in one systems are getting better value/quality and are easier to set-up (back of mine looks like N.A.S.A) Don't think that bigger is better, the system should be suitable for the size of the room. check out richersounds.com eg ONKYO HTS3305 + dvd player (£380)
no real difference in a £1 & a £100 hdmi lead! its digital!! might look better.

Personally... I'd go for the almost cheapest one box solution or
seperates, chop & change when you want. decent used speaker cable on ebay and fit some cheap banana plugs

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Still looking about.... and reading reviews.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Hi dave - check out richer sounds (google 'em!)

they are pretty good at putting packages together - although i got a panasonic one from currys with DVD, Ipod dock and 1000w 5 speakers and a sub all for about £300 - sounds awesome and picture great!

most of the 'all in' ones at that price are pretty good!

Z:D

just noticed richer sounds mentioned above -soprry to repeat but +1 for them!

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Dave speak to Mables old Man, he is into all that stuff and has a speaker in his front room like the one off Back to the Future.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to round this off, I ignored all the advice and bought an Onkyo 5.1 system HT-S3200. :D
Very impressed with it.
Light years ahead of what I had.... so very happy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to round this off, I ignored all the advice and bought an Onkyo 5.1 system HT-S3200. :D
Very impressed with it.
Light years ahead of what I had.... so very happy.
And that is the key thing, so long as you are happy with it then jobs a good un as they say - enjoy :thumbup:

Did you look at AV forums website for advice perchance?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And that is the key thing, so long as you are happy with it then jobs a good un as they say - enjoy :thumbup:

Did you look at AV forums website for advice perchance?
Yes that's where I saw the recommendation for the Onkyo range. And then just happened to see the deal in Comet, so it all worked out well.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So why did you ask for advice in the first place:confused::confused:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
carry on like this and i get you banned:angel9:
cause i know people;):angel9::angel9:
Bloody Germans always giving advice and thinking they are right... :D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
So why did you ask for advice in the first place:confused::confused:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
carry on like this and i get you banned:angel9:
cause i know people;):angel9::angel9:

Do you want me to sort him out for you Vader :D:D:D

Bloody Germans always giving advice and thinking they are right... :D

Ooops sorry boss didn't see you there

He started it not me, he told me I had to :angel10::angel10::angel10::angel10::angel10::angel10::angel10::angel10::angel10:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts