Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new tires and figure I will change tubes as well and keep old ones as spares. Everything I have owned for years has been tubeless except my RD03 which came with new tires/wheels and my KLR650 which I changed eons ago. Want Heavy duty but not sure which brands are best. Any recommendations? Thanks

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Just use ordinary or Premium. Heavy duty (ribbed) tubes are difficult or impossible to repair, they weigh much more and do not like too be run at high speeds for any length of time as they can rub inside the tyre and burst (Had this happen to me on a front complete blow out at 75 mph = very scary, I managed to keep it upright and cross from the outside lane to the hard shoulder). You can get slightly thicker tubes but as said use good quality tubes and you'll be fine

Reactions: alias

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
shit I have a heavy duty Michelin in the rear and a extra heavy duty vee rubber in the front of my Transalp 600 . why I got them was to prevent pinching while installing tyres myself . the trick is to have some air in the tube while installing / removing :thumbright: I picked up a thorn from hedge cutting on the front of the Transalp it lost air gradually so I noticed it in the handling after a shitty tyre firm repaired a split that I firmly believe they put there trying to be smart split under heavy braking I went with the heavy duty to be on the safe side .

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Just checked mine and they are GBC Premium heavy duty (not ribbed) and smooth finish so these are OK at speed. I have run them off road and in enduro with tyre pressures as low as 12 at the front and 18-20 rear on the AT with E10s and E09 Dakars on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will probably just go with regular for now. I don't do much off roading at this point in time. I did manage to read a bit about the HD running hot. The Anakee 3's I picked up are'nt exactly offroad tires anyways. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts