Honda XRV Forum banner
766 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Oggers 
#1 ·
Chaps

After a long absence from this site, I have returned to the fold, and keen to ride the bike. However, the bike has had long lay up - some 18 months or more - in the shed, with no use whatsoever. I am well aware this is disgraceful behaviour, and am also aware to check out brakes, tyres etc, but not so knowledgeable as to how to start the bike after such a long lay up.

My concern is that without any residue at all of oil in the bores, I may damage them on initial cranking over if using the electric start. The bike ran fine previously and is full of quality oil, but clearly it may have drained away significantly over the months. I though of squirting some oil down the spark plug holes? Also, is there an easy way of cranking the bike over without using the electric start.

Any other hints or tips much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

#2 ·
I'd take the tank off & drain it, re the bores, yep, whip the plugs out & put a bit of oil in there, ideally 2 stroke oil, spin it on the starter with plugs removed (you may get oil spray out of the plug holes so stand clear), maybe put it in 4 or 5th gear & turn the back wheel forwards to turn the engine first?

Refill with fresh fuel, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Take for a short run & drop the engine oil.

#3 ·
Pig

Thanks for that - will do. Yes, thought about draining the petrol, but how! I have removed all the plastic gubbins, yet there is a mass of plumbing/wiring under the rear of the tank that prevents it from being lifted free. I don't really want to muck around with rubber hoses that seem crimped on or else difficult to remove/replace.

Cheers

Mark

#4 ·
After 18 months I'd definately start with dresh fuel.
The tank should ease up, fi fuel connectors normally have a couple of tabs that you squeeze in as you ease the connector off but they can be awkward blighters....

Once the tank is off, remove the bolts holding the fuel pump assembly,mark it's position first.

An easier way may be to syphon/pump the fuel out of the filler cap.

#5 ·
I think a syphon or a pump may be the way to go. I will take another look, but first glance indicated quite a mass of pipes under there and I don't want to break anything - especially if the fluid is fuel.

Apologies for being dopey, but am I correct in thinking only 2 plugs for the 700? It's been a while........

Thanks again

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.