Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the theft and subsequent recovery last March of my old transalp 600 (in pieces).

I'm now gearing up for a project.
I have most big parts from my alp here with a frame from a bike a friend broke for spares.

As this will never be/feel like the same bike it was, I'm planning a few departures from originality:
- Complete rewire to include all LED lights and:
- Fuel injection

At this point my plan is to use the throttle bodies and airbox from a 700 alp, this may not offer the best results given I'll be going from 34mm carbs to 40mm bodies, but it'll be a good starting point.

I will be using Speeduino to control it all.

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

The aim is not outright power, but fuel economy.
My old alp was great on fuel, anywhere from 43mpg caning it up the motorway at 80ish to a consistent 53mpg round town, with a best of 75mpg on a long a road jaunt.

There's a few other mods I'll be doing but I'll reveal these as I go along.

Right now I'm missing every possible bolt so I've a bit of a shopping list to go at.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project, but I'd be surprised if you manage to improve on the original fuel consumption.
I could be wrong, (my wife assures me it's bound to happen one day ;) ).
The only direct comparrison I've made is with two 1450cc Harleys, one a carb model and the other injected, but otherwise the same bike. The carb bike averaged 50-55 mpg while the injected bike never betered 48mpg.
Not a huge dofference I know, but the other way round to what I'd expected.
My own 600 Transalp averages around 60 - 65mpg, which sounds pretty good, except that my current Harley is a 1200 (carburetted) Sportster that manages the same while weighing a fair bit more.
Look forward to seeing the project progress.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments Andy.

I'm not sure on your Harley but my thinking is:
In the case of modern transalps (650/700) they are tuned to run at ideal fuel air ratio for the catalyst.

My thinking in injecting a 600 is, I can tune it to run a leaner mixture - mine ran quite lean anyway. And take advantage of fuel cutoff on deceleration.

I may not see much if any difference, but its mostly a project to tinker with.

I'll probably run the bike on carbs and fit O2 sensors to see what its running at currently.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I may not see much if any difference, but its mostly a project to tinker with.
Absolutely, I get that, we all need a tinkering project.
My views are probably clouded by neanderthal qualities tbh, ;) I'll admit to being a bit of a ludite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The only EFI bike I currently own is an Enfield, I'll leave it alone unless something goes wrong with it, but at the first sign of problems there's a carburetor conversion available that's actually cheaper than fixing any problems with the EFI.
It's no doubt a pretty basic EFI set up on the Enfield, the Indian market bikes still run carbs and we only got EFI to meet Euro 3. Interestingly though, the folk who've already swapped to carb are reporting improved mpg figures. :dontknow:
Always nice to read about a rebuild project though. :thumbright:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts