Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
has anyone ever repositioned the rectifier on the rd04 for better refreshment:confused: ?
anothe issue... I've heard some voice about removing one of the original recticfier connector which serves the three yellow cables and to weld them to avoid any unstable connection due to connectors oxidation which mostly results in connectors melted down and burnt rectifier:confused::confused:.
thanks
Seth

·
Registered
461 Posts
I fitted a Yamaha R1 onto my RD04 and I have not had any problems, They apparently run cooler and are not known for failure.

Got it off Ebay for £20

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The 'new' R1 R/R uses mosfets so does run cooler

See this thread for mucho info

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

The R/R on my RD03 needed replacing ( running real hot and not giving out more than 12.5v which was good, as a failure with high output voltage stuffs the CDIs )

Did not bother to relocate as the air intake for the engine is close to the reg so I figure it draws air across it.. Some folk do relocate to the left rear frame member, but I have also heard reports of these getting well chocked up with road dirt and giving issues

The new CBR600RR R/R are mosfet and I took a punt at one on ebay got it cheap but it was the older Shunt type.. works fine.. I had burnt connectors, so I just soldered the yellow wires to the new unit, after cutting off the yellow feed connector... used heat shrink to insulate them..

I then connected the red positive to the battery via a 30 amp fuse and the black to the negative terminal. I left the old connector for the DC from the old R/R in place.. There is a 5th wire, a positive, used by the old regulator as a sense wire.. Just leaving the old connector in place means you don’t need to worry about it J

Works a treat 14.5 volts charging voltage now.. reg gets warm .. But they all do.. may change to a MOSFET one eventually.......
Ray

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shouldn't be bother from leaving the old rond connector there?
I mean: should I just connect the 3 yellow from the stator, and then the 2output straight to the battery (one with the fuse)??

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
shouldn't be bother from leaving the old rond connector there?
I mean: should I just connect the 3 yellow from the stator, and then the 2output straight to the battery (one with the fuse)??

yup worked for me :thumbup:

the triumph site explains it well.. I just followed that method..

The R/R design concept is basically crap really .. the generator pumps out the power, and surplus is shunted ( shortcircuited ) in the R/R and turned to heat!!!!! crap really.. so ride with your lights n heated grips on :thumbup:

As I say mine is still under the seat.. but if I were to relocate.
I would put if up front in the nose cowl, somewhere in the air flow, ( fuse would be easier to get at too..).. but the old one spent 22 years under the seat before it packed up so. in no hurry :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd put there too..
if it wasn't for the mileage of wires you are going to need..:(
i'd like to try a mosfetrs 0ne to see if it's really running cooler..
r they working in a different way?
thanks

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
they working in a different way?
thanks

yup work very differently MOFETs are Feild Effect Transistors the shunt type are SCR silicon controlled rectifiers.. SCRs are effectively on off switches where as FETs are more like a tap.. ( they can be varied... ) the rest is weird science :thumbup::D

dont worry how it works.. be happy it does and ride into the sunset....:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts