Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

As a xl1000 SD01 owner for a few years now, I've came across a few of the usual issues associated with this bike.

I've done suspension rebuilds, stator replacements, valve clearance and a few other bits and bobs.

Now......rectifier. FML. is there an upgrade / one from another bike that works better?I'm this close, to having a crack at making my own. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and please don't say "buy an OEM one"
Just like the fuel pump's , they're just as much garbage as the Chinese ones.....oh, because they are. 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate. Thanks for the reply.
I did look at them. I've just ordered 2 aftermarket ones from the net. (Always have a spare). They seem to go every 18 months or so. I'll get that mosfet one around Christmas, when I've got time to sort it.
Thanks again.

Registered
Hello all.

As a xl1000 SD01 owner for a few years now, I've came across a few of the usual issues associated with this bike.

I've done suspension rebuilds, stator replacements, valve clearance and a few other bits and bobs.

Now......rectifier. FML. is there an upgrade / one from another bike that works better?I'm this close, to having a crack at making my own. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and please don't say "buy an OEM one"
Just like the fuel pump's , they're just as much garbage as the Chinese ones.....oh, because they are. 馃槀
I have a Transalp XL650V ('03), not the same as a Varadero, but early in my ownership of it I read that Hondas of that vintage have a bad habit of blowing up rectifier/regulators. The problem is that they depend on the contact point between the rec/reg and the frame. When the contact point rusts (which happens fairly quickly) the feedback is interrupted causing the output to rise to the point that it burns out. I ran an external earth wire from the mounting screw directly to the battery negative. I've done the same with all my bikes since that have a frame earth on the rec/reg and I've never had to replace any of my rec/regs. I also advise anybody who has had that issue to do the same.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Transalp XL650V ('03), not the same as a Varadero, but early in my ownership of it I read that Hondas of that vintage have a bad habit of blowing up rectifier/regulators. The problem is that they depend on the contact point between the rec/reg and the frame. When the contact point rusts (which happens fairly quickly) the feedback is interrupted causing the output to rise to the point that it burns out. I ran an external earth wire from the mounting screw directly to the battery negative. I've done the same with all my bikes since that have a frame earth on the rec/reg and I've never had to replace any of my rec/regs. I also advise anybody who has had that issue to do the same.
You know what mate? That's a great tip. I did notice, a BV while back, that cleaning the earth point up, fixed a fluctuating Speedo issue. I. Fitting a mosfet at around Christmas time. I bought two eBay cheapies , to see me through. Thanks for the tip. 馃憤

Registered
In all my 30 years of mainly Honda motorcycle ownership, I have yet to experience RR or charging issues.
Maybe I phenomenally lucky?
Maybe it's because I keep all the connectors clean, lubed & check/waxoil the mounting of the RR, along with the mounting bolts and earths including the 3p stator to loom connector, (along with the fuse & connector on the starter relay).

Strange that I've never had one of these troublesome fuel pumps play up either.

Preventitive maintenance goes a long way.....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
In all my 30 years of mainly Honda motorcycle ownership, I have yet to experience RR or charging issues.
Maybe I phenomenally lucky?
Maybe it's because I keep all the connectors clean, lubed & check/waxoil the mounting of the RR, along with the mounting bolts and earths including the 3p stator to loom connector, (along with the fuse & connector on the starter relay).

Strange that I've never had one of these troublesome fuel pumps play up either.

Preventitive maintenance goes a long way.....

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
Well done you.

The issue doesn't seem to lie, with the lack of preventative maintenance. The issue with these models, is the location of the rectifier and the lack of cooling around the unit. I've inspected two of the fried units and the internals just get cooked and burn out. No amount of contact cleaner and terminal brushing can prevent that. It's a known common issue and I'm sure many would take care on maintaining their machines too. I had a first gen VFR VTEC and like yourself had no issues with charging.

Every time I replace my rectifier, I check the stator also as it's a ten minute job and I use good gasket compound.
Not sure if you've owned one of these machines but you're right, it seems you have been lucky, if you have.
I do all of my own servicing and am very thorough. The only solution I've yet to try , is fitting a Mosfet unit.

Registered
A good write up on why shunt type SH R/Rs fail and about benefits of Mosfet FH R/R alternative

1 - 9 of 9 Posts