Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red Dwarf’s Cat, actor Danny John-Jules and riding partner, management consultant Graham Hoskins, are on target to return to the UK after their Sponsored motorbike ride on Honda Translaps on Tusday.

They would welcome meeting up with any XRVers who can make it to Folkestone for an early morning ride, or later in the day at Honda’s HQ in Slough.

They were just outside Damascus when I spoke to Hoskins. “We rode through the storms in France and then into 30 degree heat. The only thing that has gone wrong on the bikes is one 12-volt socket fitted afterwards has blown a fuse,” he said.

The only other issue was the lack of unleaded fuel in Egypt. The pair carried two 20-litre jerry cans of unleaded each and alternated between the leaded fule thy could buy and the unleaded they carried.

The most scary part of the epic journey so far was Tripoli at night. “In Libya and Eqypt it is organised chaos. You get tourist police to guide you through. But Tripoli at night is hell. There were three lanes of traffic and cars in between driving down the white lines/ And they don’t put their lights on to save their batteries. We lost our guide and I was terrified,” Hoskins said.

The best part for Hoskins was the souther half of Jordan and Sinai desert. The roads were in good condition and, although the riding was plains and simple the scenery was breathtaking.

“And the people we have met have been most amazing. We put our tents up and a Beduoin insisted we would be too cold in our tents and that go to his house. We ate food with them. If you were found camping in England on someone’s land you’d be met with a shotgun and a cry of ‘Get orf my land!’,“ he said.

Ironbutts website
Ironbutts blog
Danny John-Jules website
Danny on Twitter
Sport Relief
Donation page

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Good to see the TA surviving the trek.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
a "translap"? sounds like someones been cottaging after dark......

jordan is one of the places ive always wanted to visit, petra, the red sands etc. especially on a bike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts