Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so Iv'e replaced the air box with a Ramair pod filter and fitted a 2 into 1 exhaust. The bike starts ok but as it warms up it coughs a bit, almost like a missfire, can't quite decide if the cough is back into the carby or through the exhaust.

Can anyone tell the go to jet size for a change to pod filter? Its an RD08

bugle

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a 175 jet with a 2 into 1 super trap and a pod filter. It runs well.

Always check the inlet manifold for a split in the bottom when you have coughs and splutters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 175 jet with a 2 into 1 super trap and a pod filter. It runs well.

Always check the inlet manifold for a split in the bottom when you have coughs and splutters.
Thanks Ian, can you remember what the original jet size was? and how did it run before the jet change?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks Ian, can you remember what the original jet size was? and how did it run before the jet change?
I had a load of problems before I got it running nicely, I think it was a 155 when I got it but the bike had stood for about 12 years in a shed.

My inlet pipe was split, the choke was stuck, the CDI unit turned out to have a bad connection and the carb needed several deep cleans so to be fair it may have run well with the 155 if the other bits had of been good. I did find though that the bike didn't like the pod filter straight on to the carb, I fitted a bit of rubber pipe to throw it back a few inches and it went great. I've no idea why that worked, but it did.

With all this done it runs great now, it pulls well and it hasn't stalled at tick over for months.

HTH.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will have a closer look at the inlet boot for splits, got to get this backfire splutter cough thing sorted, thought it might be related to being too lean but wasn't sure what to expect with exhaust and intake changes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The inlet manifolds when new are quite soft and actually pulse as they gulp the air. The rubber on mine had gone rock hard and split underneath were there is a arch in the manifold to get a tool on the lower fixing bolt. If you run finger in the arch and slide your finger nail over it the split will be felt if its there.

As you rev the bike and put more load on it the split opens up and leans out the mix too much. I've got an 89 dommie (RD02) and it has a longer manifold I think than most but I believe they are all prone to splinting.

Several attempt to repair it failed and a new one was bought.

Good luck and keep at it as a sweet running Dommie is a very enjoyable bike to ride and mine has left my 1150GS redundant for some years now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts