Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am installing indicators for a MOT retest.,2000 XR400R

I am having a nightmare trying to get led indicators working(not the bulb conversion type).
Bought the relay from halfords £19.99

I have checked relay plug and am getting over 14v through black wire and through grey and white wire, nothing through grey wire. The latter is with indicators switched off. Is this right?

I will put more info up if you need it when I have more time

Thanks

Guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Due to the overwhelming response lol I have spent hours studying the wiring diagram again and searching out info on how relays work.

For the benefit of anyone unlucky enough to experience the same problem on the XR here's a re-cap of problem and my solution.

Xr400r 2000 model comes without indicators and relay, but has switch gear.

I fitted led indicators and bought a honda relay from halfords, £19.99.

When all fitted, rears flashed but fronts stayed on.

Although relay had the right connection, it only had 2 wires.
The XR has 3 to its relay plug. I cut the grey wire and scotch locked it to the grey/white wire. Then to make the front flash I removed the signal indication light bulb from the dash. Job done.

Removing the latter bulb disconnects the part of the circuit I do not understand.
The rear indicator circuit runs from relay through switch through leds through to earth.
The front indicator circuit runs from relay through switch and also through dash light back to live feed ????? (not to earth)

Oh well, there you go.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
As the XR400 dosn't come as standard with indicators they don't need to be fitted for the MoT test...but if they are fitted they must work.
The standard left hand switchgear dosn't have an indicator switch... see photo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts