Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to change the plugs the other day and found the awkward front one stuck. The Honda spanner no longer resembles a hex more like a bit of round pipe so what to do...

Search on here found a few suggestions plus advice that no other socket fitted as standard, which I can confirm. Couldn't be bothered to pull the cam cover off for more access so off to the lathe...

I'd bought an tasty but expensive Koken plug socket on ebay (£15) which was very nice but didn't fit. We've only got a cheap Axminster modelmaking lathe, so a bit wobbly, but managed to turn a taper onto it and hey presto, the reluctant plug was removed. Undid the rad bolts so as to be able to get a better line of attack but all went smoothly so I'm feeling very pleased with myself!

Anyway, just thought I'd post in case anyone has the same problem in the future and is looking for suggestions. If you don't have access to a lathe/grinder I'm happy to lend out the socket.

Cheers all; off to look for some celebratory beer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ha did this the other week to get one of the deep recessed plugs out of the XLV.. I had turn it thinner all the way down so took a load of meat of the socket.. as pulgs are not toqued that high, I was not worried about the loss of strength due to the reduced wall thickness.. and in any case the Honda mild steel box spanner is not that strong..

worked a treat.. wish I had done it ages ago:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts