Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am organising an interesting trip on my way to tte ABR highland rally at the end of September. I thought I would post a link up here but will organise it through ABR.

You don't have to go to the ABR rally to come on this trip.

Link: http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/82-abr-highlands-rally-ullapool-28th-30th-sept-2012/122043-adventure-ride-on-the-way-to-ullapool.html

But details as follows....

Remote bothy, northern edge of the Isle of Jura not normally accessible by vehicles. Space for 6.

Would anyone fancy joining me on a slightly extended trip north to the Highland rally? I have negotiated access to a very remote Bothy in the far north of the isle of Jura - a place called Kinuachdrachd. There are 6 beds in the bothy but I guess camping would be an option and the owners used to do b&b in their nearby croft. The bothy is reached via a 5+miles rough unsurfaced track that is at the end of 20 or so miles of single track grassy Tarmac. The Corrieveckan whirlpool is about a 1 mile walk, but I don't think September is the time to see it.

Not only is the Bothy remote but getting to Jura is a challenge in itself involving 4 ferries if you are coming from the south. Plus the trip will involve a night on Islay the day before, and a night on the mainland after before travelling on to Ullapool.

The logistics for the trip is largely driven by the CalMac ferry timetable but the Outline will be something like:

Tuesday 25th - travel to Islay via Isle of Arran or via Cowan peninsular arriving in Port Ellen at about 8.30pm. Either camp/ SYHA/B&B on Islay.

Wednesday cross to Jura; visit Jura distillery, eat and buy food for the night before riding up the Island to Kinuachdrachd arriving late afternoon. Eat, drink and make merry. Note facilities are very basic at the bothy. It's camping cookery only, no showers or hot water. Bothy is £5 per person.

Thursday back to Islay and see a few sites on the Island and a distillery if time then back to the mainland. Camp on the Kintyre peninsula somewhere - there's a very good campsite on there somewhere.

Friday - ride to Ullapool. It's still about 250miles to Ullapool so arrive there late afternoon.

An island hopscotch ticket (route16) via Isle of Arran is £104.25 rider &bike. There's other cheaper routes crossing the Firth of Clyde that may be cheaper but last time I did this Arran was the most convenient. There will also be the ferry to Jura to pay - I cant remember how much it is - not much as it only takes 10mins.

If interested I suggest you Google the bothy and look for pics of the track - Geograph.org is good, and decide if it is for you.

I am just facilitating this. If you want to come you need to do all the booking and paying yourself. If you have a crap time and don't like it, well tough, do not blame me. But trust me, this trip will be real adventure and possibly a unique opportunity to ride your bikes in such a remote location. I was on Islay and Jura in April last year but didn't make it too Kinuachdrachd.

Numbers limited by space in the bothy - so that's me plus 5. But camping might be possible for a couple more but I haven't broached that with the owners of the track and bothy.

I will also have something interesting to announce soon about a ride out on Sunday 30th but need to hear from James691 first. Watch this forum, you will be interested!!! ;)

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Certainly looks a great trip Austin...normally Id bite your hand off for a place but the ABR Highlands rally is the same weekend as the Paddy Dakar. Shame they clash, but the Paddy Dakar is my first choice this year. Will look forward to how your trip plans out though. But I would love to get out to the remote Scottish Islands.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Certainly looks a great trip Austin...normally Id bite your hand off for a place but the ABR Highlands rally is the same weekend as the Paddy Dakar. Shame they clash, but the Paddy Dakar is my first choice this year. Will look forward to how your trip plans out though. But I would love to get out to the remote Scottish Islands.
Keep an eye out ABR for info about the Sunday ride out. It might change your mind about the Paddy Dakar - although I don't know what that is.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Incase I miss it Austin, stick it up on here (if you dont mind). I can view XRV at work but ABR is banned. So tend to miss a bit of what happens on ABR these days.

Really curious to what you have planned.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked at the Paddy Dakar - looks like an interesting event and I think trumps my little do. Stick with your plans Mike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was in the PD last year but by zeus this sounds class and I'd absolutely love to go if I could, very doubtful at the moment though :(

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
mmmm thinking,

but given how I am so forgetful , should book it now :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little bump to this thread and to say that I will be away until mid June, probably with patchy access to the internet at best. If interested post up here and or on ABR and I will deal with it when I get back.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Just a little bump to this thread and to say that I will be away until mid June, probably with patchy access to the internet at best. If interested post up here and or on ABR and I will deal with it when I get back.
enjoy you two and take care :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Itinerary looks like:
Tuesday 25th:
1. Ferry - Ardrossan to Brodick (Arran) on the 12.30 Ferry. Arrives 13.25. Ride round Arran, look at sights and so on.
2. Ferry - Lochranza (Arran) to Claonaig at about 16.30 (this is a turn up and go ferry and takes about 15min). (Kennacraig is then about 10mins from Claonaig)
3. Ferry - Kennacraig to Port Ellen on the 18.00. Arrives 20.20.
4. Camp or B&B at Kintra Farm as you prefer. Kintra is abou 10mins ride from Port Ellen.

Wednesday 26th
5. Cross to Jura late morning. Ferries from Port Askaig are at 10.30, 11.15, 12.15.
6. Visit to Jura distillery followed by a sobering lunch.
7. Buy food and stuff for the evening in Craighouse.
8. Head north (20+ miles of increasingly narrow and rough road with last 7miles or so being a track) to the Bothy. Leave 4pm at latest. (there's not a great lot to see or do on Jura apart from scenery)
9. Overnight in the Bothy.

Thursday 27th
10. Breakfast and depart the Bothy by 9.30
11. Ferry back to Islay at abou 10.30 to 11am.
12. Visit a distillery on Islay - either Bowmore or Bruichladdie.
13. Ferry - Port Askaig to Kennacraig at 15.30, arrives 17.15
14. Travel North for about 1 hour to a camp site (location tba) in the Oban(ish) area or to the YHA in Inverary.

Friday 28th
15. Early start - on the road by 8am - to head towards Ullapool. Distance is approx 200miles depending on route. Options to travel over the Beallach na Baa to Applecross (adds over 50 miles (250 in total) and 90 minutes but worth it - if so an even earlier start to be there for lunch).
16. Arrive Ullapool campsite at 18.00 (or later) depending on which way we go.

Hope OK, let me have any suggestions or comments on the itinerary. Please don't book anything yet as I still haven't contacted the Bothy owner.

Its shaping up to be a good trip, we just need the weather to shine on us.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Hi Austin, I have been following this thread since the first post.
It's looking like I can make it :) (maybe Vanessa too but unlikely).
Not sure if I'm going up to Ullapool yet or bimble around Applecross/ Skye.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Phil, that would be excellent. But, did you see the latest update I put on ABR. basically the bothy is now out of action in September for repairs. The alternative is to Wild Camp in the North of Jura - there are a couple places used regularly or camp at the hotel. It would seem we can still ride up the track almost to the northern end of Jura where I fancy a look at the Correyveckan whirlpool.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hi Phil, that would be excellent. But, did you see the latest update I put on ABR. basically the bothy is now out of action in September for repairs. The alternative is to Wild Camp in the North of Jura - there are a couple places used regularly or camp at the hotel. It would seem we can still ride up the track almost to the northern end of Jura where I fancy a look at the Correyveckan whirlpool.

that sounds like a Plan :)

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Austin, I saw the later posts about the Bothy not being available - a shame but not the end of the world.
I'm happy to go with the flow, however, wild camping at some remote beach sounds bliss. (as long as it's not force 10 & lashing it down lol)

I'll re read the post for the rough times/dates etc.

Phil
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its just 8 weeks to go so I think its time to book ferry tickets. Booked mine today and this is what you need:

Caledonian MacBrayne ticket booking webpage

You need Hopscotch 16. Direction Arran to Islay. Cost for One rider and one bike is £104.25. You also need to book each "hop" for the ticket.
Hop 1 Ardrossan to Brodick on Arran 12.30 Ferry on 25th September. Arrives at 13.25
Hop 2 Lochranza (Arran) to Claonaig - turn up and go. (we need to be on a boat at about 16.30 to 16.45
Hop 3 Kennacraig to Islay. 18.00 Ferry on 25th September. Arrives 20.20. This should arrive at Port Ellen but I know boats have been being diverted to Port Askaig.
Hop 4. Islay (Port Askaig) to Kennacraig. 15.30 Ferry on 27th September. Arrives at 17.15. Make sure you change the date to 27th September.
The ferry to / from Jura is turn up and go and run by a different company. Ferries on Wednesday 26th are at 8.30, 10.30, 12.00, 14.00, 15.15 and 16.30. We will decide on the day which one to go for.
Return from Jura on the 27th is at 8.40, 10.40, 12.10, 14.10.
I cant find a price for motorbikes on the Jura ferry but a return for a car is said to be about £15 so probably that or a bit less.
See you in 7 weeks 6 days :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Top man Austin

simple Instructions followed Booked it :thumbup:

:)

·
Geriatric Teenager
101 Posts
Austin,

Many thanks for the itinerary, ferries booked.

I will meet you/everyone at the Ardrosan ferry on the 25th, as I will be staying in Stranraer the night of the 24th. Anyone wishing to have a free bed and avoid an early start from the North West on the 25th is welcome. Just get in touch.

Its just a pity I couldn't have caught up with you at your Swiss Adventure Tour factory earlier this month.

Austins Factory.jpg

Paul :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts