Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying (privately) a 2001 650 with restrictors fitted to keep it below 33bhp.

Does anyone know what form these restrictors take and how to go about removing them? I haven't ridden a bike with as little as 33bhp for over 15 years and don't want to have to do so for more than the ride home :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dr. Ballock said:
....an AT, "the coolest bike of all time " in a recent poll.
Not according to BIKE magazine this month, I'm afraid - the AT is only the third coolest in the 'Used Cool' category (first R1150GS Adventure, second Ducati 748SP). Where did you read that it was the coolest - Africa Twin Owners Monthly? :lol:

Actually I'd have prefered an AT as I've always liked the look of them but being somewhat challenged in the vertical measurement department I'd only cope if I never had to stop :cry:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
sproggy said:
Actually I'd have prefered an AT as I've always liked the look of them but being somewhat challenged in the vertical measurement department I'd only cope if I never had to stop :cry:
I know what you mean. I sat on Lord Vader's @, and I got vertigo. :(

Pity they don't make @s with 8" wheels. Maybe we should suggest it to Honda as the @ Moto !!

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
sproggy said:
I'm in the process of buying (privately) a 2001 650 with restrictors fitted to keep it below 33bhp.

Does anyone know what form these restrictors take and how to go about removing them? I haven't ridden a bike with as little as 33bhp for over 15 years and don't want to have to do so for more than the ride home :wink:
The restrictors are generally steel washers placed between the carb and engine, the carbs will need to be removed to do this but you may get away with slackening them and lifting them up a bit.

Good luck (you'll need it!)

May aswell do the valves while youre there :roll:

Phil

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thumbup: Thanks for that - I was afraid they might be crammed in around the carbs somewhere. So, tank off, valve clearances, maybe new plugs too (28k miles and no service history :shock: ), carb balance.......any other useful jobs lurking under there while I'm skinning my knuckles?

I can tell this won't be a quick thing to do.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
May as well fit a scottoiler while its all off, route any GPS power leads, autocom system and extra lights for the front end.

Seems to be what most people have done to upgrade their bikes before going hardware mad!

Loic

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scottoiler already fitted, GPS (Tom Tom Rider) already wired in and included with bike, autocom..... no way - don't want Mrs Sproggy chattering in my ear when I'm concentrating on riding, and I don't want her to hear some of the things I say either...... :wink: Extra lights? I'll reserve judgement on that until I see how good or otherwise the headlight is with or without a brighter bulb but I don't ride much at night on unlit roads anyway.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've no experience with the restrictors but it seems logical that, once they are removed, a jetting change will be necessary to prevent running lean.

Check the jets and rejet to stock TA specs.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
ladder106 said:
I've no experience with the restrictors but it seems logical that, once they are removed, a jetting change will be necessary to prevent running lean.

Check the jets and rejet to stock TA specs.
Fitting/removing restrictors does not need the crbs rejetted.

Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts