Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea how to get one of those self adhesive tank protectors off a plastic tank cover? I would normally use heat and solvent (not at the same time) but I don't want to damage the finish on the painted cover.

Anyone any first hand experience?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
unless someone with a plastic tank can say otherwise, i'd peel the protector off and gently polish the glue off with a soft cloth and wd40, white spirit or petrol

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK tis done :)

In the end it came off without any drama. I had to lift one edge with a craft knife and then it peeled of without too much drama. A quick wipe over with lighter fuel and the gluey residue was gone.

Out of interest why do people put these god awful things on a perfectly good tank? I can see the benefits of covering up damage but to me its like putting scabby seat covers over Connolly leather seats. Yes it protects them but all you see are scabby seat covers and not the leather you paid for.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i dont need one on the varadero because the riding position doesnt put me anywhere near the tank.
but on my last bike, a sports bike, the hunched over riding position pressed me up againt the tank and jacket buttons and zips scratched it, so they do have a place

1 - 4 of 4 Posts