Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've rebuilt my original at and am in the final stages; replacing the decals. Problem is that having removed the original stickers, I've been left with a thick gunge on the fairings that seems to be impervious to all attempts to remove it. I've tried anything that's been suggested but nothing has worked. I can't be the first to try this - has anyone out there been successfull in getting this crud off the bike and how?
BTW, any bodyshops I've asked seem to remove transfers in preparation for spraying the panel something I am not doing, and haven't been able to help.:confused:
thanks

·
Older but Still no Wiser!
121 Posts
Hi :hello2:
Just got an assortment of spare panels for my @ to paint.
I had the same problem. Decal peels off, Glue stays on panel. :confused3:
I found petrol works wonders and didn`t affect the paint :thumbup:
Got me as high as a kite tho!!:shock:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I find *** lighter fluid (zippo Ronson etc) works wonders for all things sticky. Doesn't affect plastics or paint and comes in a handy dispenser.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi mate
i can say that petrol will remove the stuff and has not in my experience damaged the paint in any way
i have just removed (health and safety nonsence) stickers off my new Vstrom DL650X that totally ruin the look of the bike and the only thing that worked was petrol left on for about 5 mins
ps the Vstrom is my short term ride to work whilst i do a once over on my Africa Twin having just gone past 40 thou miles whilst on Dracula Rally in Romania (you have GOT to do it WOW) but must say the strom rocks and has awesome fuel economy whilst being faster smoother and comfier than AT (oooooohhhh dear!!!!!!)
Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I must say I never tried either petrol or lighter fuel, I'll give it go over the weekend.

I have ridden the 'stom and I really like it but, I have also ridden GS, Varadero, etc, etc trying to find a bike that can match the at for flexibility i.e commuting and touring, and nothing light my candle.

So I rebuilt the original and I've one of the last of them as well.... they are just so comfortable and relaxing to ride, why o' why can't Honda bring out a new model?:confused:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi
I've rebuilt my original at and am in the final stages; replacing the decals. Problem is that having removed the original stickers, I've been left with a thick gunge on the fairings that seems to be impervious to all attempts to remove it. I've tried anything that's been suggested but nothing has worked. I can't be the first to try this - has anyone out there been successfull in getting this crud off the bike and how?
BTW, any bodyshops I've asked seem to remove transfers in preparation for spraying the panel something I am not doing, and haven't been able to help.:confused:
thanks
Try using a hair dryer to get the glue soft then a cloth soaked in white spirit. Works for me.

Bill:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Isopropil alcohol removes most soft adhesives without damaging anything, we use it to clean 35mm film and projectors but i don't think it's cheap.

Zippo fluid for the win.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chaps,

I have a new black TA and wanted rid of the naff decals ie the red stripe under the Transalp lettering on the front cowlings and then the much larger ones at the back that helpfully explain that the bike is designed for "Rally Touring". All I did was soften then up with a hairdryer and peeled the lot off (decals and glue came off together) in under 3 mins. Any residual glue, and it was only a tiny amount I removed using Crystal Glo Polish and a microfibre cloth from Halfords.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
im with muckybill, a little heat makes all the difference and white spirit is gentler than petrol

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Tried WD40 or the like I:E the cheaper morrisons version
merv

·
Registered
76 Posts
Isopropil alcohol removes most soft adhesives without damaging anything, we use it to clean 35mm film and projectors but i don't think it's cheap.

Zippo fluid for the win.
Jessops sell this in a small black bottle - think it's about £6.99.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts