Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to remove the headstock bearing outer race on my 2010 700 from the headstock but the inner diameter of the outer race is bigger than the shoulder it sits on :(

no edge at all to get to to knock them out.

Any tips or tricks ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
They are a very tight fit. I remember first time I ever changed them on another bike I called the parts supplier to tell them they have sent me the wrong ones! Did you order a tub of elbow grease with the bearings? Slow and steady is my advice, some people use the angle grinder to cut one off the tripple tree but I would't dare.....Upper one that stays on when you remove the tripple tree should have a lip on the inside which you should be able to knock out with the drift....

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
They are a pain in the arse, I have used variois methods over the years with varying degrees of success!
You may get away with hammering an old screwdriver between the outer race & its seat, a seam of weld works well, a long drift with a craftily shaped point can also work but be sure you are drifting the race and not another 'lip' that lurks in there.
Another suggestion that Ive seen posted but not used is to use a multitool to grind a couple of notches into the bearing seat to expose more of the bearing race.

Whatever method you use, do file 2 or 3 notches once the race is removed as this will help the next poor sap that undertakes the job in a few years time!

Interestingly, alloy framed Hondas (well 400/750 vfrs dunno about others) have nothches machined in from the factory, to save this kind of ballache.

I envisage your next question will be "how to remove the bottom inner race from the stem.... ;

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are now out :)
bottom inner race was no problem
normally when removing the outer race you at least have a lip or edge to work with but in this case the race was 2mm inside the shoulder it sits against.

luckily i had some high grade steel and a good heat source.managed to fashion a combined chisel/prybar with the exact radius on the end and the right bend to enter the joint flat carefull use of a big hammer and out they popped :)
just waiting for fork dust seals now so i can finish reassembly and adjustment.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Last time I changed any was a BMW airhead I welded a bit of bar straight across halfway down the taper made it real easy used an old long tube spanner as a drift but I was working on the bare frame..

·
Registered
130 Posts
It should be as simple as striking an arc on the race with a stick welder, any electric welder for that matter, that's if you have access to one. I used this method to remove the outer races from my '03 650. The lower one fell out, and I think it's because the metal initially expands then shrinks when welded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts