Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my exhaust to Remus...love the low growling sound i get from the bike now. :thumbup:

I realized, however, that im getting some backfiring when decelerating. Didnt feel any leak along the joints of the pipe (i might be wrong). The carbs were serviced prior to the change to Remus. Choke cables are fine.

Can those who have swapped out their exhaust to a Remus comment on this? Any areas i can zoom in to have a check? Adjustments i can make?

Thanks! :cool:

·
Matt
182 Posts
Generally after firing on over run means it's running lean, If the remus is more 'open' than the standard exhaust (almost certainly is) then you need to change the carb jets to suit :thumbright:

·
I can ride all day.
362 Posts
Mines been doing that for the last 30k with a Remus, pops on over run, mainly around 3000revs. Nothing to worry about

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Check your plugs to see which cylinder is to blame.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Just changed my exhaust to Remus...love the low growling sound i get from the bike now. :thumbup:

I realized, however, that im getting some backfiring when decelerating. Didnt feel any leak along the joints of the pipe (i might be wrong). The carbs were serviced prior to the change to Remus. Choke cables are fine.

Can those who have swapped out their exhaust to a Remus comment on this? Any areas i can zoom in to have a check? Adjustments i can make?

Seems the mixture has changed since you put the can on and it's running lean. My mate had a 955i Tiger and put a Blue Flame pipe on it and that was awful for poping and banging on the over-run

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Generally after firing on over run means it's running lean, If the remus is more 'open' than the standard exhaust (almost certainly is) then you need to change the carb jets to suit :thumbright:
Thanks for the feedback. What size jets if it is changed?

Actually, i think most people i know does not do anything to the jets. Is it common for backfiring or is mine a unique case with the Remus? Anyone who has used the Remus for a long time care to comment? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any exhaust which flows more freely seems to cause the odd pop, mine does - personally I think the sound is kind of cool...

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Mines been doing that for the last 30k with a Remus, pops on over run, mainly around 3000revs. Nothing to worry about
+1, mine always did it but it never caused a problem. God I loved the sound of that silencer :toothy8:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I have a Remus Grand Prix with fixed baffle, K&N airfilter, standard jetting

It pops on overun infrequently (when the revs drop down) so not worried about that but I mainly ride between 4.5k to 7.5k revs so don't get the pop

I always ensure the carbs are balanced

When I did an observed ride on a Bikesafe day the officer observing me commented on how nice it sounded too :thumbup:.

·
NoooBeee
16 Posts
Guess you purchased & install the pipe at the same place I did. Mine started out like yours..backfiring weneva I over run. Check & confirm there's 2 bolts behind the pipe. The last time I checked there's only 1, so I shorten the brackets & screw in the other to prevent air leakage. Installed dynojet kit & sync my bike.. Runs very smooth now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the bike is running lean, wouldnt an adjustment at the carbs to enrich the fuel mixture solve the problem instead of changing jets?

·
Registered
22 Posts

i have an RD07 with a remus can and have the same popping done 20k with no problem... i actually quite like it! dont know if it causes a problem but as yet nothing wrong.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Yeah same here - I lift off the throttle on purpose through tunnels for a laugh!

Mines an RD07a running a K&N, chokes disconnected and a Remus GP it pops and bangs every now and then but it just makes me giggle like a kid - I dont take life seriously enough to worry about one back-fire in every couple of weeks burning my valves out........

·
Registered
22 Posts
well if i'm 100% honest... i do flick the engine stop switch off then on at about 4000rpm a flash and a bang later and it puts a smile on my face!
childish.... check!
lots of noise....check!
damage to exhaust.... probably!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Running an open pipe will lean out the mixture. Will it do damage? It depends how open it is - how rich/lean it was running in the first place.
Same with the k&n. It flow more than the standard filter. More airflow v same fuel flow means leaner mixture again.
The engine will run hot when its lean. The leaner it is the hotter it will run, the closer it will get to doing damage to valves and pistons.
Running rich will burn fuel, performance will be down, it'll get carbonitis and you'll choke on the exhaust fumes when your stood behind it.

Most people buy pipes/filters/dynojet kits and fit them at home. Therefore most bikes arent set up properly. You either go to mr dyno and pay up, leave it as is and keep your fingers crossed, or take a wild guess and go up a few sizes on the main jet and.. keep your fingers crossed again.
I admit to doing the later myself for the past 25 years!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts