Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at replacing the standard bars with Renthals on my 650 TA. I've read through loads of posts and the only person who appears to have fitted anything other than the Dakar High (Enduro High 613 bend) is Mudwiz - but that was ages ago.

So, measuring the standard bars to compare with Renthal's listings, I make the specs:

A = 770mm - width
B = 130mm - height at end of bar
C = 115mm - rise
D = 170mm - clamp area width
E = 104mm - sweep

Renthal Applications List here: B&C Express | Handlebar Dimensions - Handlebars

The Enduro High has a lower rise and a slightly lower height than standard but is slightly wider. The bars Mudwiz used were apparently playbike bars. There are currently two listed, 50cc Playbike bars (797 bend) and 110cc Playbike bars (611 bend).

Both of these are higher and with less sweep than standard. The closest to standard, if I'm measuring the bars right, seem to be the 677 bend Suzuki Quadracer.

Now, I don't want anything considerably lower than standard and I don't want to foul anything on full lock so, before I start experimenting, anyone fitted anything else recently?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I've got twin bars on mine with those risers I bought off you.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, I thought I'd give the 677 Suzuki Quadracer bend bars a go so ordered them from B&C today. Hopefully the grip area is adequate by the time all the controls are bolted on. Guess I'll find out shortly :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. Hopefully the ones I ordered will fit just as well :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...and the verdict is that they fit perfectly. They are almost identical to the original. Nothing fouls anywhere. Result :thumbright:

·
Registered
406 Posts
At the risk of sounding thick.....

I changed the bars on my last TA to lower Renthals to adjust the riding position (and they did foul on the tank, but only slightly and I could live with it) but can I ask why you wanted to change the bars for something as close to standard as possible - just for aesthetic reasons?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Renthals have a cross-bar on them which is handy for mounting stuff. They also have a good quality anodised finish and are nicely rigid. After 10 years, the standard bars have some superficial rust spots. Sure, you can add a Honda Accessory Crossbar to the standard bars but as that's £25 it's not much more to upgrade the bars.

The difference in the bars is very subtle but the Renthal 677's do seem to give a better wrist position with less sweep. Others may find different so YMMV.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very strong, two falls offroading and one on the road without any damage noticed.

This is my reason. The Acerbis are a lot stronger than the original one, and.. they don´t rust.
The first reason is very important for offroad abuse away from civilized areas.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still very happy with the 677 Renthals having had them on for several months now. The position seems great with no wrist ache on longer trips. Nothing fouls anywhere and the brake hose and all the cables are all long enough with no other mods. They get my vote.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up but is it the word that the Renthal 677 are the nearest to the Std bars if so ill order some

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still happy with mine and they do seem to be closest to standard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts