Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few battle scars on the Givi bars on the vara and need to repainting them.

What's the best way?

Rub em down and paint or is there a pre paint treatment to stop them from rusting?

What paint is best?

Over to the gurus amongst you :)

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I had mine on the AT black powdercoated by a local lad £10

Since then I have dropped it a few times offroad and each time I have just covered the area with electrical tape and you can't see unless you look close

Does the trick for me

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just keep them treated with ACF50 or something to keep the rust at bay, wee bit of parafin every now and then with a wire brush too.

Your only gonna paint them and then scratch them again.....

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Just keep them treated with ACF50 or something to keep the rust at bay, wee bit of parafin every now and then with a wire brush too.

Your only gonna paint them and then scratch them again.....
or paint them and the pipe lag to cover them

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
169 Posts
Late to the party as ever but I've been repainting some aged racks (from 1996 and never cleaned, although given a shoddy repaint sometime).

Anyway, I used Hammerite satin black - treats the rust and looks really, really smart. Well, after two of four coats. You can get it in Halfords. Make sure you get satin not gloss, then it has that quality sheen ;)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
hammerite garage door enamel is excellent, does the rust thing as you'd expect from a hammerite product and gives a very hard smooth finish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts