Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Stone Crazy
5,301 Posts
Have you tried Borut Zemlic of Zeeltronic , his stuff is pretty resoanable and good quality it does not list yuor model but the CDi/powervavle controller is programmable

ZEELTRONIC- YAMAHA

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Have you tried Borut Zemlic of Zeeltronic , his stuff is pretty resoanable and good quality it does not list yuor model but the CDi/powervavle controller is programmable

ZEELTRONIC- YAMAHA
Tanks for the heads up I have sent an e- mail to zeeltronic to hear what they can do for me.:thumbup:
I cant understand why its so hard to locate the correct CDI. The bike as I have said earlier is a 22bhp model made and shipped to france and uk in 86-87 but after that they went over to the DT125R which I dont think is a compatable unit for this model....There are a few of them for sale but I dont know if they will do and at the prices they are charging its an expensive gamble..:mad::mad::mad:

I cant find anything for Borut Zemlic of Google.

·
Stone Crazy
5,301 Posts
Borut has been a member of the RD club for years ,he hails from Slovenia, basically he packed in his job to build CDi,s etc for bikes , it looks to me like the CDi powervavle controller is the same as he one i hve on my TDR 250 , the TDR uses a lost spark system any way so it is the same as a single , and it is programmable, you can either download his program to a laptop and use a lead from the CDi to the laptop to program it or buy the programmer from him to do the job

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Borut dropped me a line today.
He needs a wiring diagram which I found online and he wants a photo of the wiring on the CDI.
He also wants photos of the dynamo so he can let us know whats what.
He has done a DT 125R and he reckons he should be able to sort it out for us.
Jnr is bringing home a flywheel puller on friday so we will be sending Borut the information he needs.
I also wrote to a company called The Tuning Works who replied and also suggested we contact Borut.
If jnr has the money for CDI then we will be getting it sorted as soon as possible.
I have got so fed up of his bike thats its been demoted to the shed until the CDI has been bought.
Jnr has got the final part of his driving test on friday so fingers crossed it all comes together and we can get him out in the mud and sh i te like the teenage hooligan he wants to be....:-D:mrgreen::-D

All this talk about data downloading to laptops and programming thingy bobs and lost spark wotsits is way above my skill set, that is why we need advice from the experts in the know.:thumbup:
I just wanna see my lad thrashing the t i t s off his bike trying to keep up with my dommie and breaking things I know how to fix.:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:
I am sure with Boruts help we will be using the full 22bhp from this bike so it should be good for more than the 60mph that the 15bhp standard model can do.

·
Stone Crazy
5,301 Posts
Wasted spark is simples , does not really apply to a single , but on a twin with a 180 degree firing cycle , it means you have one coil that fires both plugs twice every revolution , one spark fires at the bottom of the resolution so it is a wasted spark basically as there is no compression or mixture to ignite

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Out of interest, have you ruled out everything else in the ignition & induction systems to actually confirm that it is a faulty cdi?
I instructed jnr when he got the bike to replace the coil , battery ,plugs ,chain n sprockets and brakes etc and he did but I noticed he only twisted the wires together when he fitted the coil so I bought him a soldering iron for chrimbo so we will check it out to make sure its a good connection.
One of the CDI wires was only twisted together too and wrapped in insulating tape so we will sort that too.
I have a spare 24mm carb in my box of stuff you never throw away coz I might need one day and we are going to strip it down and swap the jets and other gubbins over to see if swapping carbs solves the problem.
There is a possibility when he cleaned his carb with ultra sound at work that he messed it up as it was his first time doing it.
There is a strong spark but when it fires up after about 10 kicks (usually 2nd kick) when you try to rev it up it doesnt want to go over about 1000 rpm with or without the choke.
The last time we started it a couple of months ago ,we went a ride around the block and it ran as sweet as a nut as you will see in the following video.

That was the last time we started it and then all this hassle started a couple of weeks ago which makes me think CDI problem..
He has his bike test on friday so you can imagine he is chomping at the bit and ready to rumble.:-D:-D:-D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Bit of good news and some bad.
We fitted a new petrol tap on the bike and it fired sraight up so we went to fill the bike up and then the bike died after a couple of miles.
I had to go home and get a strap so I could tow him home.
Plug has been taken off and checked for spark and it was fine ,battery is on charge and jnr is well cheesed off after being so happy it started.
Suggestions on a post card please.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have you fixed the before mentioned problems?

I noticed he only twisted the wires together when he fitted the coil so I bought him a soldering iron for chrimbo so we will check it out to make sure its a good connection.
One of the CDI wires was only twisted together too and wrapped in insulating tape so we will sort that too.
What's the airfilter like and has the fuel line got a filter? is it flowing fuel okay? What's the inside of fuel tank like?

Are there any more bodges lurking about potentially causing problems?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Have you fixed the before mentioned problems?

What's the airfilter like and has the fuel line got a filter? is it flowing fuel okay? What's the inside of fuel tank like?

Are there any more bodges lurking about potentially causing problems?
The new tap we fitted has a built in filter and the fuel flow is fine.
The tank was cleaned out by me and chemically treated inside when I did my dommie tank and I am not aware of anyone doing bodges to the bike.Air filter is clean..:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have sent these photos to Zeetronic and await their reply.
Probably gonna cost Jnr a couple hundred squids to sort it. :(:(:(
15402991_1616825381666806_331353914_n.jpg 15494050_1616825395000138_1603404249_n.jpg 15423558_1616825391666805_1123440252_n.jpg 15493937_1616825385000139_1615422502_n.jpg

My Dommie build didnt cause me as much stress as this DT125 is doing.;););)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
NEWSLASH....
Jnr has fixed his bike ,I made him take it home as it was stressing me out and he took it to a motorbike he knows shop and the owner let him work in the shop for free.
It turned out to be the power reeds Jnr fitted to his bike were not fitted properly and not doing their job.
They were taken out double checked and now the bike starts and runs as it should.
He is going to give it a longer test ride tomorrow so I told him to organize some breakdown cover before he sets off just in case something else happens.:eek:ccasion5:

Now I can finally relax and enjoy christmas before I start thinking about another project.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
NEWSFLASH 2.

Jnr went out on his bike again today and after a couple of miles it packed in again.
He got it back to his mates workshop and after further investigation he discovered that the dynamo is fried.
A replacement part has been found in Germany and ordered and it should arrive sometime next week so the bike should be good to go hopefully pretty soon.......Thank XXXX for that ,this bike was seriously stressing me out but its all good now....(hopefully):cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
a ****ing dynamo is he after buying a flying merkel or what the **** ? :D is it an alternator or as our murican cousins would say a generator . I picked up that term from Clymer manuals myself . good to hear its on the mend anyway .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
a ****ing dynamo is he after buying a flying merkel or what the **** ? :D is it an alternator or as our murican cousins would say a generator . I picked up that term from Clymer manuals myself . good to hear its on the mend anyway .
I gave up on 2 strokes mate when I sold my 1976 DT400mx which was the first bike I rode abroad.:D:D:D

He has fried the spinny roundy thing that makes lekky, two of the three coils are fried.
Jnr has got the lekky thingy bob on order second hand from ebay in Germany so it should be sorted for new year, ready to a rse about in the snow...
I explained to jnr that his bike was like a 30 yr old jigsaw puzzle that cant be finished because one or two bits are not in the right place and once he finds the pieces ,he can go out and thrash the bejeezus out of it which he seems to be looking forward to.:D:D:D
All the very best for 2017 to you and everyone else one this forum:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Has everything else in the charging system been checked out & given the all clear?
With a good, well charged battery, the bike should run fine for quite a while without a working charging system.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Has everything else in the charging system been checked out & given the all clear?
With a good, well charged battery, the bike should run fine for quite a while without a working charging system.
I suggested to jnr that he gets himself a new battery as the other one might need replacing.
My blood pressure has dropped loads now the bike is sussed out.
Now I just need to service my Dommie so we can go play in the dirt.:D:D:D

21 - 40 of 41 Posts