Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone,

I have bought my ‘96 XL600VT with a Dominator (brand of exhausts, not the motorcycle model) oval exhaust fitted.

The bike really smells of petrol when running and especially when stopped at red lights. I can also see it’s spitting little droplets of petrol in the wet as it runs.

I have the original genuine exhaust which needs a little section of pipe replaced to be refitted.

Can the carburettors be tuned to suit the Dominator brand exhaust so that they aren’t running so rich and are in tune with it?

I’ve been told that the jets need replaced for a new exhaust, does anyone have experience of this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar thing on my 87 Alp with a Delkevic exhaust which one of the previous 16 owners had changed without adjusting the jetting. The problem turned out to be a sticky choke plungers.

First make sure your air filter and intake is clean. Check your choke lever, cables and plungers are also working correctly. They are a bit of a pain to unscrew on the carb body and made of plastic so take it easy. See if this makes any difference.
When you have eliminated all these variables you can adjust the fuel mix.
There is a fuel inlet adjustment screw on each carb and should be set to 2 and a half turns out on a standard exhaust.
Make a mark inline with the screw slot so that you can reset to this position if necessary. tighten the screw on each carb until it is lightly seated. then loosen to 2 and a half turns and go for a ride to see if things have improved. If the exhaust starts popping on the over run or going downhill on little to no throttle, then you have adjusted too far and the engine is running lean. Loosen adjustment screws buy quarter of a turn to see if things improve. If you have adjusted to more than 3 turns out you will need to investigate jetting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts