Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

short end: need to replace/repair float bowl and Honda says they no longer make it

Long story: My name is Andy. I’m an American who decided to go on an adventure. I flew to Cape Town and purchased a 99 xrv750. I’ve taken the long way (4000km) to Joberg and have been fine tuning the bike before the real adventure begins and I set off to Ethiopia (viaSwaziland, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya).

My issue was that the front plugs looked black while the carb was screwed 1.5 turns and the exhaust had some pop on decel. At first I thought it was the choke plunger (the front actually already was broken and an amateur fix was done, and just while getting to this point I managed to break the other plastic but...this I can solve though). The choke worked fine.

So I took of the carbs and found this

the overflow stem is gone and the hole is welded or JB quick closed. I feel pretty confident this is the source, especially because the times I’ve been off-road and dropped it, it starts to act like the engine is flooded. This would make a lot of sense if the float is out of action and the bowl can’t drain normally.

anyway - the real issue is that Honda no longer manufactures the float bowl (odd) per the Honda dealer I went to in Joberg.
Does anyone have any ideas how to go about fixing this or sourcing a spare? I’m trying a few motorcycle graveyards in South Africa, but the problem is the bike is so reliable they aren’t just getting to the scrap heap yet.

it runs fine otherwise and runs fine with this issue. Where I’m letting perfect be the enemy of good is that I am traveling solo on shit roads where I’ll inevitably drop the bike and South Africa is the last place I can fix this issue.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy similar brass pipe, drill the hole through this weld (or glue) and glue there this pipe? At the end make it same height :)

Sometimes same carb is used in others bikes, maybe you can use bowl from another bike? Look for any numbers/name of the carb and google it to find more motorcycles where is was used.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts