Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to Lichfield (from Norwich) earlier this week, the rear wheel bearing rapidly collapsed while I was tanking down the M69, throwing the ball bearings into the centre of the hub, knackering the centre spacer and partially melting the inner wall of the hub. Not pretty. It was, of course, the 13th. And I'd left my mobile phone at home (by mistake).

Luckily the wheel didn't come adrift, although it did wobble rather alarmingly. I managed to limp to Sutton Bridge Honda where a very helpful James Hunt tried to fix it (just a few minutes before he was due to go home). Unfortunatley he couldn't, so they loaned me a GS (Suzuki unfortunately, not BMW) After a replacement spacer was sourced from Honda he managed to place new bearings correctly spaced (although he had to chisel out one of the seating rings) and I came back 150 miles without incident this morning.

The cost of a new wheel puts it out of the question at the moment, so, does anyone know of a secondhand rear wheel or hub for sale? How much should I expect to pay?

Are Dominator rear wheels/hubs the same as any other model?

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I've seen dommie rear wheels go on ebay for anything between 16 euro and 160+ euro, so if you're not in too great a hurry...

But am I reading you wrong or is it fixed now? Or is it just a temporary fix that you shouldn't rely on for too long?

As far as I know all dommie wheels are the same, except for the US spec ones because they have a drum brake.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's fixed and should be okay for a good few miles. However, they suggested that I find another one as my wheel is now lacking the retaining lip for one of the bearings.

What I meant about compatability was will the wheel from another model of Honda fit my Dominator, or must it be a Dominator wheel?

I'll put a search and notify request on eBay right now.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Not sure what you mean by retaining lip...

Compatibility is hard to tell. Maybe a transalp wheel will fit, but I can't really say without putting them next to each other.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bearing on each side is pressed home until it comes up against a lip around the inside of the hub. The internal spacer sits between each bearing so that you can't over-tighten the rear wheel and push the bearings onto - and through - the lip. The shaft slots through the internal spacer, which is hollow.

Mine only has one of the two lips now. The bearing without the lip is pressed home against the end of the internal spacer. It's held in the right place by the internal spacer, not by the lip. It should be held in place by both.

Does that make sense?

I didn't know any of this until Tuesday afternoon when I watched the mechanic replace the bearings!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Ah, okay. Hmm.

Doesn't really sound like that big a deal to me actually. That bearing won't really go anywhere lip or no lip, if it hasn't been pressed in too far...

Which side of the wheel is it that's missing the lip? The dommie rear wheel has 3 bearings, 2 in the wheel proper, and one in the cush drive (chain side).

I for one wouldn't bother, but that's me. ;-) I'd just ride it, keep an eye on it, and give it a good hard look at the next tyre change when the wheel is out to see if it's staying put properly.

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
Just found this number on ebay the guy has a couple of XL wheels for sale but says he is breaking others
"Honda Xl 500r (Tyre no good ) rear wheel in useable condition .Bike is being broken for spares also other models XL500 R,XL500S & XL600 RMG,LMF,600R & NX650 dominator."
RAY 07980 549026

merv

found another
http://tinyurl.com/23votv looks a bit scruffy but may clean up £50

1 - 9 of 9 Posts