Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting fed up spending £20 on these pathetic plastic drive gears that wear out if everything isnt 100% clean, greased, straight, etc etc etc !!

My speedo stopped working a few days ago and on inspection the drive gear was worn down and a bit chewed up.

£25 and 3 days later and the new one is too !! The clocks were spinning fine when I spun the wheel after replacing it whilst on the centre stand but on my way to work (too late to turn back) it stopped working.

I KNEW the gear would be destroyed if I kept riding but I CAN'T be late for work or I lose my job !! :(

Surely there has to be a metal or pattern part available ??? WEMOTO ones are £20 too !! ???

Regards, Ted

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I'm getting fed up spending £20 on these pathetic plastic drive gears that wear out if everything isnt 100% clean, greased, straight, etc etc etc !!

My speedo stopped working a few days ago and on inspection the drive gear was worn down and a bit chewed up.

£25 and 3 days later and the new one is too !! The clocks were spinning fine when I spun the wheel after replacing it whilst on the centre stand but on my way to work (too late to turn back) it stopped working.
Can only assume there is another fault there thats causing the teeth to strip, gears shouldn't go in 3 days from new unless something is wrong or it wasn't fitted correctly. What bike is it on??

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think there is something else wrong as 3 days is not good you need to check whats causing the gear to shear putting a metal one in will wreck something else. Just my opinion

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
It will be the worm gear that drives the plastic one.

David Silvers have complete drives in for £40 ish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I think you're both right !!!

Im guessing the cable is jammed or teh tangs are slipping and jamming. It was all spinning nicely when spun by hand. It's my own fault for not test riding it before using it before work but when you're doing maintenance at 10pm, it far too easy to just pack up the tools and grab a beer instead !! :angry1:

The other things such as the cable and metal tangs can be easily fixed but i'm just looking for an alternative to the £20 plastic gear as it's a weakness and is prone to failure on all bikes that have them..

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Possible, but they look perfect !! I have a spare drive and they are identical..
When you next take it off have a look at the bottom of the worm drive on the inside.

Mine had marks where the drive had moved down and jammed on the casing.

The drive is free when in the right place all lubed up, new washer behind the wheel bearing seal and cable is free.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
There should be a shim washer that goes on before the white nylon gear it wears out and the gear sits in the drive further so it doesnt engage with the drive washer in the wheel properly. you can get a new one i would also change the drive washer.
On the xr i've had the part the cable goes into on the speedo itself seize up and bugger the speedo drive i had to take the speedo off and oil it no problem since

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I think you'll find they're made of the plastic ****e so that if it does fail it crumbles etc if it were metal there is the possibility it could jam the wheel or break up and get in the bearings etc, not good on the front wheel, I suppose the theory is make it just strong enough to work but when it fails it's weak enough to be spat out by the motion of the wheel without interfering with travel.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
SORTED !!!

Turns out it was the cable !!

The odd thing is that the cable only jammed over 20mph.

When I first changed the plastic gear and checked the cable, it span freely. Even when I span the wheel as fast as i could of the centre stand, the speedo worked fine..

Only when I reached 20mph on the first ride, the cable jammed and the plastic gear was shreaded.

I had to remove the cable and use the "power drill" method to find this out..

So guys ! something to bear in mind next time you get the speedo problem. I suppose having a plastic gear isn't such a bad idea. If it were steel then it would of done a lot of damage.

Ted

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Glad you got it sorted Ted

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Be carefull with the routing of the speedo cable. If you have any tight-ish bends in it you may end up trashing your drive again. When I refitted my speedo cable after having the forks worked on, I routed it wrongly and after a couple of hundred miles the plastic gear ripped itself to shreds. Fitted a new one and re-routed the cable and so far everything seems ok :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts