Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the head bearings on my @ - I have a serious "notch" in the dead ahead position.

It´s not a job I´ve done before. Is it an easy job? Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere as my Haynes manual is a bit cr*p?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I need to replace the head bearings on ? Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere as my Haynes manual is a bit cr*p?
Really? The Haynes has an excellent step by step procedure with plenty of pics and illustrations. How can you go wrong with all that info? :confused:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quite agree about the Haynes manual. Knobbley, your not related to that hammers 19 wally we had to put up with a couple of weeks ago are you.

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does :thumbup: Thank you.

Really? The Haynes has an excellent step by step procedure with plenty of pics and illustrations. How can you go wrong with all that info? :confused:
I said my Haynes manual is a bit cr*p - this is because it is a digital copy. It´s been ok so far for the things I´ve needed but the pictures are not that clear. In the near future I will invest in a proper printed copy.

Knobbley, your not related to that hammers 19 wally we had to put up with a couple of weeks ago are you.
Your insult is uncalled for and unappreciated.

·
How much is the fish?
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
That´s excellent :thumbup:

I now know that if I attempt this myself it will end in tears, as I don´t have anything to use to get the lower bearing off the stem. I think I´d better leave it a while till I can arrange to take the stem somewhere to get the bearing off.
In the past I have removed the bottom bearing by driving an old wood chisel between the yoke bottom and the bearing. This acts like a wedge. This was followed using tyre levers as the gap got bigger. Once the bearing lifts about half an inch it will just slide off because the stem it sits on is tapered.

However, last time that failed, I was suffering with really bad tennis elbow and hammering was killing me. Someone on here suggested using a dremel to cut the bearing off. They were bloody right. I hardly touched it, just a shallow groove in the thing and it actually sprang apart so I could lift it off. Took about 20 seconds, the Dremel has come in useful for other stuff since as well.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Someone on here suggested using a dremel to cut the bearing off. They were bloody right. I hardly touched it, just a shallow groove in the thing and it actually sprang apart so I could lift it off. Took about 20 seconds
+1

I did mine on the CRM exactly the same way yesterday. Previously I've used (very carefully) an angle grinder with a slim cutting disc but the Dremel cutting disc went through the lower race like a knife through butter and was far more precise. I cut almost all the way through it and gave it a whack with a chisel. It cracked the rest of the way through and dropped off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts