Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry for newbie question, but this is my first bike so my first sprocket and chain change! Its on my 1989 XL600V and I just have a couple of Qs:
1. Can anyone recommend where I should get them from? Cant seem to find one on David Silver
2. Do I replace the front and back sprockets? Or just the back one?
3. Does anyone have a video or some more detailed instructions than what's in my Haynes manual?

Thanks for all your help previously and in the future!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
given the "weak spot" of the Transalps and Africa twin i would buy a genuine Honda front sprocket. i get mine from my local honda motorcycle dealer

yes, you will need to replace the chain and both sprockets, all at the same time

i get mine from ebay,

eg

(of course you will end up with a "spare" front sprocket)

i would avoid the "dirt cheap" chains on ebay. look to spend about £100

you can view/download the official Honda workshop manual here:

and when the new chain is fitted, set the "slack" to about 30mm when you are sitting on the bike

of course, some chains are riveted closed and others are done using a "split-link", you may need a chain breaker tool. i am not sure as i always take mine to a garage to get it fitted

this guy's videos are usually pretty helpful

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I am a big fan of SuperSprox (Supersprox USA | World leading motorcycle sprockets) I have them on my Transalp and they have served me well. I've taken the TA across country and through Mexico and they are doing fine. Maintenance is the key. Although the O-Ring chains seal the pins, the rollers still require regular chain spray. I do it every morning when I'm on the road.
You can order them directly or get them through RevZilla or Cycle Gear.

AFAM (World of AFAM - Everything for your motorbike : Chain Kits, battery ,...) is also a very good choice. I use them for my Aprilia.

My experience is that cheap chains don't last, break down at the most inconvenient times, and cost you more in the long run.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
these front sprockets are supposed to be good

Interesting but the cost to get one here in the US would be USD96.00.

Buying anything from the UK or Europe is brutal for us across the pond. I have an RD03 and an RD07 and it kills me to have to order parts. Common parts are twice as expensive in the UK (CMS or Rugged Roads) as US prices when I can order them through my local dealer. Model specific parts have the additional shipping charges and occasional currency charge making them about 3 times the US cost. There must be some weird tax in the UK to drive the prices up. But I love my bikes and pay what I must.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
the cost of that sprocket is $45. sounds like they are ripping you off on shipping

if I want to order anything from the USA it costs a fortune, as the exchange rate is crap, and sometimes I have to pay 20% import tax

so I thought it would be cheaper for Americans to order from the UK!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for newbie question, but this is my first bike so my first sprocket and chain change! Its on my 1989 XL600V and I just have a couple of Qs:
1. Can anyone recommend where I should get them from? Cant seem to find one on David Silver
2. Do I replace the front and back sprockets? Or just the back one?
3. Does anyone have a video or some more detailed instructions than what's in my Haynes manual?

Thanks for all your help previously and in the future!
I've been riding motorcycles -- from 90cc to 1300cc, dirt and street -- for 50 years. I hate to go against the common wisdom here, but I always buy the cheapest sprockets and chain (as long as it meets the recommended strength requirements for your bike's displacement) I can find. Chains are a little more complex, but sprockets are just hunks of steel cut into standard shapes. I've never had a chain or sprocket break or wear out prematurely. When I rode single-track trails in the Rocky Mountains, I made one concession to the possibility of breaking down miles from nowhere -- O-ring chains. So, spend as much as you want, or as much as "experts" will talk you into, but unless you race or ride in extreme conditions, spend as little as possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The hardest part of replacing chain and sprockets is removing and re-installing the rear wheel, then adjusting the tension of the new chain. Everything else is just loosening and tightening bolts.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
install a cheap front sprocket on a transalp will result in the driveshaft wearing out and it will cost a fortune to repair

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seriously? No wonder Transalps are hard to find! At least they are in the U.S. (I'm an American interloper on this forum). My experience is that Honda's off-road bikes are incredible rugged, A few years ago, I got hit by a car on my XL500 in the middle of an intersection. Both the bike and I went flying. It only broke the clutch lever on Honda.

I'd sell that Transalp pronto, if it's that fragile.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
the africa twin and transalp can both suffer from front drive shaft spline problems if you dont use decent sprockets and keep the chain at the correct tension

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi All...Sounds like " dplanalp " and his bikes have a personal guardian angel hovering over them..I wish i bloody had one or two looking after me !..having witnessed personally these bikes shaft problems and having to fix it...also...my clutch lever too, snapped in half..falling two feet and leaning against a brick wall..hardly rugged in my eye's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for all your help! I seem to be managing ok! (obviously it turned out to be harder than expected with one bolt rusted in place and the front sprocket retainer completely worn away! Should be back on track when fowlers deliver the replacement parts!

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a company, in Italy, which sells a modified , strengthened design front sprocket. It spreads the load over a wider area. I would anticipate that this would last much longer than any supplied by Honda or in any sprocket & chain kit. That is what I shall be ordering shortly for my XL700~VA9.
That is what I would advise you to purchase.
Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts