Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late again with the papers, this time it's the Work section that has a story about a guy who took early retirement to work as a courier riding a KTM 990 Adventure. When asked about work / life balance he says "I don't see motorcycling as work, it's a hobby job".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/jan/17/workandcareers

And no, BTbloke, it wasn't wrapped around posh chips :D. Ah those were the days when your chips came in soggy newspaper. We knew how to recycle in them there days :rolleyes::D:D:D

·
Registered
924 Posts
good little article that, thanks Lulu

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
If you read the Guardian - does that not mean you already HAVE retired ?:D

I have always dreamed about riding a motorcycle for a living , but wonder how long it would take to become "just another job" and eventually when you finish in the evening or at the weekend - you would just forget about it till Monday morning again and hate the bike because it was work.

I would rather just keep the dreary day job and dream about riding the motorcycle for a living.

But better still - working "with" motorcycles as a job - say engineering at Triumph ? or even work in a dealership and ride in your spare time like we do now - that would be good.

The Rugged Roads chaps and chapess have it right I reckon - researching and designing all the bling , prototyping , puting it into production. More power to your collective elbow chaps - we WILL make this business a success !!!! oh yes !!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I have always dreamed about riding a motorcycle for a living , but wonder how long it would take to become "just another job" and eventually when you finish in the evening or at the weekend - you would just forget about it till Monday morning again and hate the bike because it was work.
That doesn't happen. There is no forgetting about it. In my opinion, courier work is a lifestyle not a job. When I was doing 1500 to 2500 miles a week I'd spend Saturday sorting out whatever fell off the bike during the last week and giving the bike a service. Saturday was a large night out. I'd sleep most of Sunday and then back to work Monday 6am.

Now, at that rate you can easily kill a bike a year and get through shed loads of tyres and consumables. The only way to make money was to keep costs down and earnings up - done through using low mileage, cheap and reliable secondhand bikes and getting double-ups and paid returns wherever possible.

It was always fun in the summer but in the winter at 6am in the dark on the M4 in freezing fog and -6 degrees with the bike skipping around on ice, it was the job from hell.

I never got to the point where I hated the bike and when I took any time off, I usually went somewhere on the bike with a tent on the back.

I note how he says he's not making any money yet - so it really a job - more a hobby. He needs to get himself a K100RS for £1500. that would save him a shed load in depreciation caused by putting 75000 miles on a KTM in a year.

Now, I really wouldn't want to be doing the job at 60. Your reaction times are slower and when you hit the ground/car/truck you tend to shatter rather than bounce. Its not good news.

I remember guys like this coming along with a tidy new bike and all the best intentions. 6 months later their bike was knackered because it wasn't ideally suited to piling on the mileage and they hadn't spent every weekend maintaining it. They also hadn't made enough money to buy another new one so they quit. All they had to show for the six months hard graft was a knackered bike that had lost the majority of its value and a face (and probably arse too) that had aged by at least 3 years.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
All fair pionts and opinions Alan :thumbup:.I did a bit of courier riding back in the eighties and loved it. As I was making brilliant wedge I was able to run a KLR600 followed by 3 NX650 Dommies, but I did do it, mostly for the pleasure of riding and I would never have done it on a 10 year old CX500 just for the money.I found it really hard to give up! When I did, I spent the next dozen or so years building up a pretty large business which I wound up in 2000.That twelve years was fabulous too but it almost did me in.Total exhaustion and dodgy health.Continuously trying to hold on to my operating license,police visits every week for one reason or another,drugs,hookers,fighting,noise etc (customers,not me!) all lead to me deciding to go for a complete change of lifestyle.After virtually retiring from work altogether I figured a bit of courier work would be a bit of a crack again.Primarily because you can stop and start when you want to.The money is not as good as it used to be,but that's not my main reason for doing it,if I wanted real money I'd go straight back into the business I do best,but I want to live longer and happier ! Courier riding isn't my main income but 7/8 yrs later I still can't give it up ! I love it.I must add though, I'm soooo lucky to be able to pick and choose my work and I'm probably averaging only 3 to 4 days a week. I DO NOT recommend this as a way to earn a living unless you think bikes, almost all of the time :D and you don't need too much income :rolleyes:.I have no plans or aspirations to do anything else right now.This is the life for me.:)
Just a note : 75000ml per year seems like a lot to me,I reckon on only 30/40000 or so ?
In summary : Don't do this sort of work if you can't afford it ! By which I mean can you afford for example, to crash and have six months off work (unpaid).Can you afford to take a job to Glasgow a 6pm and tell you wife you won't be home till the early ours maybe twice a week.Can you afford to run several bikes at a time and keep them all tip top ? because courier work alone won't cover it if your trying to pay a morgage and feed a family too.

I've always had bikes but there was twelve years where I barely had a moment to relax,let alone ride my bikes ! ...................................Now it's BIKE TIME :thumbup: :)

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
I intend to retire at the end of this year too, then start riding everyday!:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts