Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sam Manicom recently sent me his first book "Into Africa" to review and post my thoughts up on the forum.
Sam was seeking out an opinion warts and all of his book.

I've never read a travel book before of someone's adventure, despite the many recommendations on the site and the fact that I wanted to, so it was with some interest that I accepted the challenge. It was with some trepidation that I set off on this exercise knowing that if it didn't work out I could pass it on to someone else to review.

I'm normally someone that needs to get in to a book straight away and I just wasn't sure that I would get bitten by a diary that's been turned in to a book.
How wrong I could be.... now I have to be careful here lest I give any of the key points of the story away, but in the first reading session we have an accident and for the pedestrian involved a very serious one, coupled with a spell in prison (well Police cell anyway) for Sam! Oh my goodness I was finding this really very interesting.
So if you haven't sussed this out yet this is Sam's (very graphic in places) story of his ride through Africa, the daily challenges and adventures he faced along the way. Sam hadn't really ridden a bike before embarking on this adventure and I have to admit I was slightly disappointed in this as I was hoping that Sam was a regular biker like myself who loved biking and just wanted to do more on his bike and extend his adventures. To Sam a bike was just a way of getting around on his adventure, and I got the impression he could have easily done this adventure by back packing or cycling and still got the same experiences. However I needn't have worried because he soon seemed to develop a warmth for the bike and this method of transport that we all love and share.
I found myself reading the book very regularly, unusually for me as I lead a very busy life. I kept on wanting my fix.
I don't know what it was, whether it was the almost innocent way in which the book was written, or the connection with something that I personally would love to do, but don't have the freedom or balls to be able to do, but I found myself really connecting and enjoying this book.
I even found myself talking about it to family and friends with real enthusiasm, describing scrapes and experiences that Sam had had almost as if they were my very own!

So how would I summarise it..... a fantastic read that takes you through all the scrapes, experiences and adventures as if you were there yourself. I would say that if you plan to do any adventure riding then this would be a must read. You'll certainly learn from Sam's experiences!! :laughing6:

A highly recommended book in my opinion.

So support Sam and his adventures by buying his book, which he will sign for you.......
http://www.sam-manicom.com/orderform.htm

Sam also has another book out which I've also written a review of "Under Asian Skies".

If you've also read "Into Africa" then please also post your thoughts up here, I know that Sam will be interested.

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
Sounds like great stuff, as does the other one.
Thx!

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Hold on a minute
What is going on here:confused::confused::confused::confused:
you getting books send to review:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Did you forget to mention a recent career change
cool:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hold on a minute
What is going on here:confused::confused::confused::confused:
you getting books send to review:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Did you forget to mention a recent career change
cool:D:D:D:D

When I start getting sent bikes (or money) to review I'll consider a career change!

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
He dave you should do this full time as i now so badly want this book
cause this is exactly what a good book does,you want to tell everyone about it and cant wait till you get home to carry on reading:thumbright::thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
does the forum get any money/mention if we order through here:confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
mmmm, this should fill the void after just finishing 'Lois in the Loose' which was brilliant.

One for the Christmas stocking!

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Sam Manicom recently sent me his first book "Into Africa" to review and post my thoughts up on the forum.
Sam was seeking out an opinion warts and all of his book.

I've never read a travel book before of someone's adventure, despite the many recommendations on the site and the fact that I wanted to, so it was with some interest that I accepted the challenge. It was with some trepidation that I set off on this exercise knowing that if it didn't work out I could pass it on to someone else to review.

I'm normally someone that needs to get in to a book straight away and I just wasn't sure that I would get bitten by a diary that's been turned in to a book.
How wrong I could be.... now I have to be careful here lest I give any of the key points of the story away, but in the first reading session we have an accident and for the pedestrian involved a very serious one, coupled with a spell in prison (well Police cell anyway) for Sam! Oh my goodness I was finding this really very interesting.
So if you haven't sussed this out yet this is Sam's (very graphic in places) story of his ride through Africa, the daily challenges and adventures he faced along the way. Sam hadn't really ridden a bike before embarking on this adventure and I have to admit I was slightly disappointed in this as I was hoping that Sam was a regular biker like myself who loved biking and just wanted to do more on his bike and extend his adventures. To Sam a bike was just a way of getting around on his adventure, and I got the impression he could have easily done this adventure by back packing or cycling and still got the same experiences. However I needn't have worried because he soon seemed to develop a warmth for the bike and this method of transport that we all love and share.
I found myself reading the book very regularly, unusually for me as I lead a very busy life. I kept on wanting my fix.
I don't know what it was, whether it was the almost innocent way in which the book was written, or the connection with something that I personally would love to do, but don't have the freedom or balls to be able to do, but I found myself really connecting and enjoying this book.
I even found myself talking about it to family and friends with real enthusiasm, describing scrapes and experiences that Sam had had almost as if they were my very own!

So how would I summarise it..... a fantastic read that takes you through all the scrapes, experiences and adventures as if you were there yourself. I would say that if you plan to do any adventure riding then this would be a must read. You'll certainly learn from Sam's experiences!! :laughing6:

A highly recommended book in my opinion.

So support Sam and his adventures by buying his book, which he will sign for you.......
http://www.sam-manicom.com/orderform.htm

Sam also has another book out which I've also written a review of "Under Asian Skies".

If you've also read "Into Africa" then please also post your thoughts up here, I know that Sam will be interested.

*cough*

Library Thread

*cough*

:D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*cough*

Library Thread

*cough*

:D
Yes that's a good thought, but..... it doesn't support the author and with someone like Sam who's a lovely personable individual who loves travelling we need to support him. If it was a Haynes manual or a Honda book I'd agree with you!
So go and buy the book from Sam's site. It's great read and you'll feel like you've been on the adventure with him. I still find myself talking about it now.... months after I read it!

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Yes that's a good thought, but..... it doesn't support the author and with someone like Sam who's a lovely personable individual who loves travelling we need to support him. If it was a Haynes manual or a Honda book I'd agree with you!
So go and buy the book from Sam's site. It's great read and you'll feel like you've been on the adventure with him. I still find myself talking about it now.... months after I read it!
Ive ordered both books already after what you wrote :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Had a chat with Sam at the NEC on Monday. Nice guy. I now feel even more guilty about not buying his book knowing it's so good :? . I shall order one this weekend.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I bought it at the HU meet and chatted with him for hours there.. Very nice guy and great book. It amazes me that he had to self publish it is well written and a great story.. (on my 2nd read now)..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ecellent book, well worth its money and as said Sam is a great guy, full of travel stories...

I have around 30 bike related travel books and would say its the best....

Enjoy...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts