Honda XRV Forum banner
22K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Paul-S 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I had the intiminators and slugs fitted and gave it a short run to the Yonderman with Dave, my lad in tow on the DR350 and then a proper run on the way down to the Welsh Invasion

Initial impressions

Slugs

I have these set to raise the front up 40mm. This is as much as the cables and brake lines will allow and this balances out with how much the rear has been raised. The side stand just works with the hockey puck I have attached to it. The main stand just about works too. Dead easy to get on the stand now but both wheels are still on the floor when on the main stand. Seat height is now 980 mm as opposed to 890 so a run and jump sees me on this OK. Good incentive not to drop it too! Ground clearance has been increase by 30mm that should get me over the logs and rocks next time at Cowm Quarry Enduro circuit without too much bashing of the bashplate.

Intiminators

I have the original standard springs and 5wt oil although I have reduced the air gap by 10mm to compensate for eating all the pies. I weigh 100kgs fully kitted up. When you roll the bike off the main stand there is no drop at the front as the static sag is almost non-existent. The front end feels much stiffer. The bike rides much taller too. Initial tests were done with the tyres I had on from last years’ Pyrenees trip, the Mitas E10s (hard compound) a 50:50 tyre for on and off road. The front felt quite stable and no dive under braking. This new front plus the raised forks took a bit of getting used to. I also ran a small lane off road near me to see what difference it made on small gravelly potholed bumps. Much more controlled and I could push faster on the loose gravel. I also ran it at some speed control squares and the front reacted perfectly. Very impressed. On the run to the Yonderman I had dry weather so could test it a bit more but not too fast with Dave on the DR350 in tow.

It’s first fast run was tested on the way down to the Welsh Invasion. It was wet and we had 5 inches of snow on the Newtown to Crossgates road so speed was kept down to 30ish and stopping now and then to make sure Stubbsie was OK behind. On the way down we met a snow plough just coming up to clear the road.

Met up with Vader and J. We ran the fast B road to Buelah then picked up some single track along Abergwsyn valley and Llyn Brianne the latter only having light snow (1 inch or so). Vader was behind and I could hear him screaming – traction wasn’t at its best! A cut through was needed to get to the military road across the Epynt mountain range and I spotted a track. I could hear Vader screaming again as we were on grass / mud and tarmac till we hit road again. The front was nice and controlled all the way. Once on the military road we picked up the pace as the road was clear with just some damp tarmac. This was a good run to Llewel and then we went over the Black Mountain range to join up with the Brecon Beacons road over and down to Amanffordd.

Vader overtook J and I stayed behind, being polite. J stuffed up a few corners but I suspect dirty tactics were at hand. Once over the top J signalled for me to overtake and I chased after Vader on the run down. At this point the front tyre had gone off and I did not have enough front grip to hold a line at speed so I resorted to backing the bike into corners so the front was where I needed it to be pointing to get round. The feedback from the front was excellent and I could just push it till it started to slide. The next 3 bends were all taken the same way with fast entry and sliding it in. Vader was soon despatched. Apologies to J who did not know what was happening as I over took him and backed it into the next bend to make some progress. I would not have been able to do this without the grip up front even though the tyres had gone off.

The day after it was a dry day so I had a chance to try some late turning in and had some fun with Chad behind me. We were pushing it and cranked over when we encountered a small bump in a bend on a section of single track that I was able to change direction very quickly turning harder and putting the bike almost scraping the left hand hedge to get round. Chad hit the bump and ended up on the other side of the road. Once again the intiminators have transformed how the bike behaves. They are a real compliment to the Nitron shock at the rear.

Tony (Barftone) took it for a test ride and as a few commented that it rides tall with presence but also he said it felt more like the KTM950/990 than an Africa Twin (except without that magical engine and grunt)

I have new tyres on now Mitas E09 Dakar’s (hard compound again) these are 80% off road and 20% on road. I got a chance to scrub them in at the weekend and after the initial looseness like I was riding on ice or had a complete flat at the front after, 200 miles they are scrubbed in and I have taken them right to the edge at the front. The tread blocks are taller and more spaced out than a TKC80 so they do move around but will have far better mud shedding abilities. Me and a mate I used to race with chased some sports bikes up near the Ponderossa. I have more ground clearance now and with the better suspension I was able to capitalise on this leaning even further over than I have before.

Overall I am very pleased with them, so much so that when I save up the pennies I will get a set for the RD04 Marathon as well as a Nitron Shock for the rear. They have transformed the bike.

Mitas E10s

When we did the Pyrenees in 2012 I ran a new set of TKC80s. Did just over 1200 miles plus the commute to the ferry. My only other run out was to the Welsh Invasion 2013. On the way back whilst riding with Frad and his mate the front had completely fallen to pieces and was falling off the tread and sliding too many times. These had only done just over 2100 miles at that point.

For last years’ Pyrenees I opted for another set of E10s ( I have these on the Marathon) but opted for a harder compound. They look like the TKC80 but the tread wraps around the carcass much further giving another 18mm of rubber on the sides to use up meaning you can push harder into corners and lean over much further. Stan ran a TKC front and it too fell apart as we got to the last day (it had done just over 2000 miles at that point). The rear E10 took a while for the yellow paint to wear off. Both tyres were great once scrubbed in. I ran these tyres all year on a couple of other outings and finally to the Welsh Invasion. The front went off on the way down but this was after 4300 miles – that’s double what I get out of the TKCs. Great tyres. Like the TKC they are not too clever in the mud and while we were on an off road section in snow and greasy mud (like wet chalk) the rear was spinning up at 2000 rpm and at one point the front stopped turning resorting to sliding till it gripped again.

E09 Dakar’s

Just fitted so early days yet but they coped well on tarmac chasing down and passing a few sports bikes at the weekend. Speaking to Glynn (Trellesport) I know these will not last as long because the tread blocks are smaller and taller with much bigger gaps between them. Mud shedding abilities should be fine. My first ride was also in the wet – very slidey.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Should be titled Ricor not icor

Can a moderator please correct this for me I cannot do it?

Thanks Peeps

#4 ·
It can do, there are a few adjustments on the shock itself by making it shorter or longer (+7mm adjustment in the bottom of the shock) which translates to 30mm up or down at he rear but theres also the remote preload ride height adjustment which again can add 50mm at the rear

#6 ·
They're on eBay - about £120 including postage and tax

#9 ·
#11 ·
I fitted these last year in the RD03 and am pleased with the dive issue improvement ,
Been waiting for you to test them Paul and report back :thumb:

Glad it's is so positive , they are a cheap fix and simple plug n play :thumb:

#12 ·
Thanks Ray

#13 ·
Your welcome Paul,

I was happy with just the dive issue being well sorted and the way the front was not as prone to track on dodgy Tarmac :) so to have them tested to your riding style :) and get a great thumbs up is great

I went for them as they are easy to fit and about the same price as progressive springs, and fully reversible as you don't need to drill out the holes in the damper rods

#14 ·
How do Paul, & the collective. Small query on the intiminators - I appreciate there's a reduction in dive, but wonder if there's any effect on actual stopping.. i.e. does less 'down-pressure' on the front increase likelihood of locking when grabbing a fistful??
Slightly academic as I've ordered a set, to counter the braided lines being put on shortly... Thought the brakes were pretty reasonable in the past, but recently feel they're rather past their best! Thanks in advance, Rob.

#15 ·
What's all this stuff about brakes?

They intiminators will actually improve the braking by maintaining better tyre contact with the road especially on rough surfaces. I would not have been able to back the rear in at speed with a good front tyre on standard shocks. I was able to do this with a worn front and wet road conditions

Reactions: rgarrioch
#16 ·
Backing it in...?! Something I only managed to do once, by accident, on a soaking, gravel strewn road on Skye, in a straight line.. Must try harder :salute:

#18 ·
OK - hopefully last query on these - having received a set of Ricors finest, the inclusion of 2 alloy sleeves threw me a loop; I understand these are to replace the fork's upper spring (presumably they are shorter than the spring in accounting for the inserts 'extra' length), but the consensus here seems to be not to use them & re-insert the original arrangement. Anyone confirm that's what they've done & good results, or able to compare the 2 set-ups? Thanks again,
Rob.
Transparency Auto part Plastic

#19 ·
Jup they replace the wee springs, well on the 03/04 they do 8 just put all the springs back and lived with additional pre load from the intiminators , about 15 mm as I recall.
As they are the las things to go in once you have the units in and set the air gap I used 110mm , good enough for Paul so fine for me:thumbup:

You can then try the options of the springs or spacers
The units work best with stock springs

Reactions: rgarrioch
#20 ·
Thanks for that Ray - will wait & decide once I know the difference 'twixt spring & spacer.

#21 ·
Hi Rob

Have you got a recent link to the intiminators that you used

I want to buy a set for the RD04

I looked at my link in the earlier thread and it's stated as ended

#22 ·
A good recommendation Paul, You seem happy with them on the 07 so now the 04 getting the treatment :thumbup:

My 03 has them and am also seriously considering another set for the marathon
Oh and the Rd01 has the the same fork internals:)

Bulk purchase ?:D

#23 · (Edited)
Hi guys - I bought direct from Ricor in the 'States, being unable to find a middle-man a bit closer. $240 inc. shipping (at $60), + £35 customs etc. charge from DHL.. Took about 2 weeks. Hope it's worth it - despite plans to fit them myself, just don't have the time, so a local mechanic's doing them as we speak. Tick tock, as they say!

#25 ·
I am not the fastest rider in the world by far and like the way my front forks handle bumps etc and got the chance of riding an @ with intiminators fitted so this is a comparison with my bike against my friends who bought them.
Its a lot harder when sitting on the bike to compress the forks and in my opinion just doesnt feel right stiff right from the beginning. Once riding it feels very stiff at the front and not to my exactly to myliking as it jolts your arms when riding over small bumps or small potholes it makes riding less enjoyable and wondered if that is how its supposed to be. I rode the same bike before the intiminators were fitted and thought it was perfect (@ with 12000miles) I am not for or against them but this may help somebody decide if they are buying some whether they prefer track bike front end or front suspension that dives but soaks up the bumps and in my opinion more relaxing ride.

#26 ·
That doesn't sound right. On mine the forks were nice and soft over bumps without being wallowy at high speed, but seemed stiff when braking so effectively anti-dive forks. Did he put the right grade oil in or after market springs?

Reactions: alias and een705
#27 ·
With yen on this one
Something amiss here mine is stiffer on the fork dive but very supple over potholes and off-road

Reactions: een705
#29 ·
I agree something doesn't sound right

The front is more supple and controlled over the ripples, dive is less and initial sag is much less but very controlled

I have the Garmin mounted high up and with the old OEM set up it would oscillate up and down on the road, this has now stopped and the unit is almost stationary due to the intiminators valving working as it should

Just back from an Italy trip and the front worked perfectly on and off road

Reactions: een705
#31 ·
Sorry for the late reply Peter, I have the intiminators in the RD04 as well, they work great. I prefer the intiminators as they are easier to work with and have a good range of damping control. The race tech are more focused. I don't race now so don't need to be chasing 10ths of seconds anymore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.