Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'm tempted to get some tyre levers and carry a spare tube for my upcoming camping trip, I've never needed to replace a tube or tyre yet and not so confident of my ability to break the bead and sort it all out on the roadside. I'll probably give this a try myself when it comes to changing the tyres at home, but keen to avoid it before then, so I've been looking into tyre sealants.

My first preference would have been ultraseal, but there seems to be a bit of controversy about some counterfeit US product being sold as ultraseal that's only designed for truck tyres or something (and have seen a couple of those for sale on ebay judging by the logo). Also seems to have been some falling out between ultraseal and their UK distributor, who have launched their own product called puncturesafe by the looks of things which is still being sold as ultraseal but at least one post I found said it was different. Price is also quite a lot compared to slime, gloop etc. So all things considered I decided to give this one a miss.

Had a look at slime, and I know some people swear by it, but others seem to say it can introduce tyre balance issues, isn't as good as ultraseal, and I'm hearing that it can cause corrosion on the rims etc. The statement on their website about it not being for high speed use (or words to that effect) is a bit offputting too - even though I know some people say its no problem at high speeds. Though it is a lot cheaper.

Then I came across this stuff:

http://www.ride-on-uk.com/pdf/Motorcycle Formula 1.pdf

(you'll need acrobat reader installed to view that - their main website is at: http://www.ride-on-uk.com).

From what I can tell, this is more common in the US and seem to have found a few good reports so far. Appears to be very much like ultraseal but at the price of slime.

I'm tempted to order some and give it a try. Still going to do a bit more reading up about it but from what I can tell so far, some people on US bike sites seem to use it and like it.

Thought I'd post here first of all as a heads up for anyone who's considering tyre sealant and hasn't seen this yet, and also wondering if anyone has used this one before and how they found it?

Price looks good and seems to offer all the significant benefits of ultraseal but at less than half the price!

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
As I understand it these sort of products are aimed at tubeless tyres, and in general, do not work very well on tubed. It really isn't much trouble to carry a repair kit, and breaking the bead is not an issue. If you can repair a puncture in a bicycle tyre, then you can do it on a bike - it's just the same!

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
I used Ultraseal with no wheel balance problems, you do get a bit of roughness when it's first installed but that disapears after a few miles. Works a treat only noticed I'd had a puncture when I came to clean it down found a blue line at the edge of the hugger.

Im not 100% sure if it's is recommended to use with inner tubes, might want to check on that first.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I understand it these sort of products are aimed at tubeless tyres, and in general, do not work very well on tubed.
Many of them have tubeless version, or ultraseal (and it seems this rideon stuff) are intended to be used for both. Though for tubed tyres the healing capacity isn't quite as much (will heal smaller holes than when used in untubed tyres).

I found a quick video demo of this stuff (which I'm guessing is a tubed tyre) at:

http://www.dirtbiketelevision.com/index.php?task=episode&id=13

it's at about 17:17ish on the timeline if you skip forward. Not a particularly comprehensive test there ofcourse but seemed to work OK. Wasn't aware of that dirt bike tv site either (looks pretty good - going to go back and have a propper look around later when I have time).

From what I can tell reading up on Advrider so far (having more of an american bias) this ride-on stuff seems to have a pretty good reputation.

It really isn't much trouble to carry a repair kit, and breaking the bead is not an issue. If you can repair a puncture in a bicycle tyre, then you can do it on a bike - it's just the same!
I see your point, and it might be good to carry a repair kit and spare tube too ofcourse to be on the safe side, but I've got a breakdown service so might be just as easy to ring someone if the worst happens and the tyre selant doesn't work. I'm probably being a bit of a wuss but not having changed a tyre before I'd rather do it at home the first time.

This tyre sealant (and from what I can tell ultraseal too) does have some other advantages though (assuming it works as it says) such as helping to prevent accidents as it seals the tyre immediately (for small punctures at least), helps to keep the wheels balanced, prolong tyre life and so on.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Ultraseal with no wheel balance problems, you do get a bit of roughness when it's first installed but that disapears after a few miles. Works a treat only noticed I'd had a puncture when I came to clean it down found a blue line at the edge of the hugger.

Im not 100% sure if it's is recommended to use with inner tubes, might want to check on that first.
I think ultraseal claims (like this rideon stuff) to actually help to balance the tyres. I know it works with innertubes too but like this stuff, seals smaller holes than is possible for untubed (but still enough for most punctures it seems so seems worthwhile to me).

From what I can gather ultraseal seems to offer more than slime and some of the other sealants and is considered the best by many people, but looking at this stuff it seems to have very similar claims to ultraseal, so I'm tempted to give this a go as it's cheaper and I can be sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Not sure about ultraseal at the moment as there are things like this I found online:

http://www.ultraseal.biz/home1.htm

(and I've seen at least a few of those in drums for sale on ebay recently with that logo).

Also:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopicp-387056.html (if you read down a bit there's some info about puncture safe). There are a few other threads about it on other forums I came across too. So I've found it a bit hard to work out what I'm buying if I go with ultraseal or puncturesafe (not sure if they're the same product or actually different or if I buy ultraseal whether I'll be getting the genuine stuff).

Under the circumstances I've decided to give ultraseal a miss for now as bike tyres are a bit more of a risk I think and if I end up with the wrong stuff it could be bad (plus it's more than twice the price of this rideon stuff which seems to offer the same benefits from what I can tell).

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a bit more searching and all I can seem to find are positive reports about it so far from the US guys seeming to prefer it to slime. Also read some people who are using it as a tyre balancer with the puncture prevention as an added bonus which is encouraging, and from what I can gather they can still be patched too (which doesn't seem possible with the other stuff).

Just checked the tyres and it seems that their standard bike kit with two bottles is enough for the tyres I've got on there at the moment (with a bit left over), so I've just placed an order (£9.95 and seems to be no delivery charge - though I've dropped them a line to check this isn't a mistake as I'd like it delivered without delay so I can get it in over the weekend ideally).

Seems like it might be worth giving it a whirl.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got a reply back only a few minutes after ordering (and it's after 6pm):

Your order is ok and postage and packaging is included within the price.
Thank you for your order.
Seems like a great deal and good service so far :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm, I've been pondering the same thing.

See http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=29368 <this thread

I have actually gone out and purchased all of the necessary repair kit, tube, levers etc. which despite my doubts does all fit comfortably under the seat of the TA.

But I am still imterested in the merits of these products.
Will you let us all know how you get on with it Zen?

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, I've been pondering the same thing.

See http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=29368 <this thread

I have actually gone out and purchased all of the necessary repair kit, tube, levers etc. which despite my doubts does all fit comfortably under the seat of the TA.
I suspect that's probably the best option in terms of definitely getting you home if you know how and are confident enough to change them on the road as you can probably fix much more damage that way than the tyre sealants can manage (though on the other hand most punctures seem to be fairly small if you believe the statistics so it's kind of swings and roundabouts I guess - they do seem to offer some added benefits in terms of convenience and safety in those cases it seems).

I'm planning to get some levers, patch kit and spare tubes at some point too but I think I'm going to leave it until I need to replace the tyres so I've got a bit of experience doing that first before trying to fix things by the roadside (don't have time or inclination to take the tyres off to practice just now as I'm hoping to get away camping soon so the tyre sealant and breakdown card seems my best bet right now).

But I am still imterested in the merits of these products.
Will you let us all know how you get on with it Zen?
No probs. I'll hopefully be going on a fairly long trip soon so will let you know how I get on, though unless I actually get a puncture it might be hard to tell how well it works ofcourse. Some of the claims about extending tyre life etc. might be a bit hard to judge too for some time.

If you have a look at advrider.com forums and do a search for "ride-on" (including the quote marks and hyphen) you'll find quite a few posts there about this stuff if you want a bit more opinion about it in the mean time. It appears to be popular in the US and of all the posts I read people seemed happy with it (though there were quite a few and I didn't check through all of them).

·
Registered
168 Posts
For my 2 penneth I would'nt bother with leavers and tubes unless you are going for a big off road adventure. But if you are going to take them I would use sealant as well.

I use slime in my @ tubed tires. It does a good job of stopping small punctures escalating into full blown blow outs. I have never noticed a problem with balance and I rarely ride over 85mph.

I have never changed the tyres myself but I have helped Nick a few times over the last few years and the front is difficult with small leavers. Some kind of sealant may well see you through until you reach a friendly garage.

As for the whole "I like to know if I have a puncture" argument which often acommpanies the tyre sealant conversation, it is far better to find out you have a puncture because your tyre slowly goes down overnight than travelling along at even 40mph (let alone 80).

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I've used slime and goop in the tyres on my bike.The goop went in the varadero and that rotted the tyre valves out, never had a puncture so can't say if it works but will never use it again.

My xr has 6mm tubes in both tyres and slime and the slime did absolutly nothing ( nor did the tube) when i picked up a horse shoe nail. So i don't bother with these things anymore. I have AA cover and a power socket fitted for use with a 12v compressor if i get stuck

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
When you get a puncture in a tube, there is always the chance that it will tear - and no amount of slime will seal that. Also, the tube can move slightly in relation to the tyre, and break the seal that the slime has made - giving you a flat whilst you're riding. I don't really want to risk that, and don't have a problem repairing a puncture.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update - it arrived thismorning so the service from that website seems pretty good. Kit came with two bottles, two bits of tube and two little tyre valve removal tools (at least thats what I think they are).

So far so good. Going to try putting it in tomorrow or sunday, so hopefully it'll go well.

Completely understand your point about the tubes fatowl. I know this stuff won't be as good as it is in untubed tyres, but for a little extra peace of mind (some of the things miss-p mentions in particular) it seems worth it for a 10er. I'm going to get around to practicing changing a tyre and get myself some levers and spare tube at some point, but just don't have time for it at the moment before my trip, so this seems like a good alternative in the mean time. I've got to admit, the idea of extending tyre life due to balancing and cooling does attract me too though (assuming this works the same on tubed tyres - not sure about that but fingers crossed).

Jasonbc : If you're ever thinking of using sealant again, perhaps this stuff or ultraseal might be worth a try (assuming all is well with ultraseal - see my earlier post). I've heard that they have corrosion inhibitors in and don't rot things like some of the others (though not having used them myself I don't have any first hand experience yet ofcourse - just what I've read online).

·
Registered
4 Posts
As my user name suggests I am the owner of Ride On (UK) Ltd and I would like to thank Zenarchy for his positive postings about his experience with our company. For the fairness of a wider trial we would like to offer a free Ride-On motorcylce kit to the first five XRV members who send us there address and user name via e-mail to [email protected] All we ask is that you try the product and be constructive in the forum. As Zenarchy mentioned we supplied our products with free postage however after 18 months this has now ended. For those who would like our product and not lucky enough to be in the first five we have set up a 10% code for XRV members, when ordering please use the code xrv10. Due to the commercial nature of our business we will not be able to check here daily, however we will do our best and you can always send us an e-mail.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just a quick update now I'm back from my trip. This thread slipped my mind when I was preparing to leave so apologies for anyone who was waiting to hear how the fitting went.

Fitting the stuff was easy though I needed a hand for someone to hold the bike rocked back on the center stand to get the front tyre off the ground and had to go hunting for a valve that shot out like a bullet (completely my fault though as it was the first time I'd removed a tyre valve from a motorbike tyre and was a bit too enthusiastic unscrewing the first one - best to let as much pressure out of the tyre with the valve in place first then unscrew more gently I discovered).

The dosage for my back tyre was a full bottle, and I thought I'd emptied the whole bottle in there but after reinflating the tyre then going to wash out the bottle (figured it'd come in useful for something else in the future having a handy nozzle cap) I noticed I'd left maybe an ounce in the bottom that I hadn't noticed when putting it in. So my back tyre ended up with an ounce less than it should have had (might have a go adding the extra ounce now I'm back if it's still OK to do that with what I have left over). That might be something to watch out for as it's thick gloopy stuff and it's easy for there to be some left in the bottle when you get to the end without you realising. Best to unscrew the cap and peer in before reinflating if you're emptying the whole bottle in there. Another tip is tapping the side of the bottle quite hard in between squeezes will help you to more accurately judge how much is left as it has a habit of sticking to the sides a bit which makes it hard to judge from the guage on the side exactly how much is left if you don't tap it and give it time to run down the sides.

After fitting it, I went on a trip from Newcastle up to the west coast of scotland, riding along the northwest coast, right around the top to John O Groats, then down the east coast then inland to lochness, spent a day wandering around loch ness and the surrounding area, then rode home. With lots of wandering around and exploring (and getting lost :D) in between. Somewhere in the region of 1500 to 2200ish miles in total I'd guess (not sure exactly as I forgot to note my milage before I left Doh! - it'll probably be hard for me to work out exactly how far I've done now as I did quite a bit of wandering off course along the way).

I got back safe and sound with no punctures as far as I know (though I haven't checked the tyres properly yet - will do that before I wash the bike - when I eventually get around to it). Although I should have been checking the pressures with a guage each day when I was up there before riding, when it's chucking it down and you're taking down the tent and keen to get away, I ended up not doing this, so it'll be interesting to see if it'd helped to keep the tyre pressures better than the tyres without it (I'd have expected them to have lost a few pounds by now).

Fast motorway riding proved no problem, and no apparent balancing issues or anything. Though as I've had my license for less than 2 years and only got 6 points allowed before having to retake my test I try to stick to the speed limits religiously all the time (might have been a few overtakes where I pushed a little over to get past things as quickly and safely as possible but 70 was the max I did most of the time - fair bit of sustained riding at 70 with no problems though). Did a lot of hilly, twisty roads, lots of roads with poor surfaces, the odd gravel/shale track etc. with no apparent problems (apart from my riding at times perhaps but can hardly blame this stuff for my own shortcomings).

I did notice a slight pulsing from the front at low speed (below 30) at first but I suspect this was due to my inexperience riding with a fully loaded bike and lots of weight in the luggage on the back. At first I thought this was the sealant, but later came to the conclusion that I just needed to stay in a lower gear longer at slower speeds and keep the revs up higher than usual to account for the extra weight (being my first trip like this I carried everything but the kitchen sink - a lot of it I'll be ditching for my next one). I'll know for sure once I've ridden the bike properly for a decent length trip without the luggage on the back, so if I do think its to do with the sealant I'll update this post and let you know. My feeling is it was just a case of the low speed judders due to not keeping the revs up higher than usual that's needed with the loaded bike though.

Obviously the real test will be if I've picked up any punctures along the way, so I'll check for any signs of that as soon as I have time. If I did pick up any along the way it's done its job though as the tyres stayed hard all the way.

So far I'm very happy with the stuff though and for the price I think it's well worth it even if just for a little extra peace of mind. I just hope they don't put the prices up too much when it starts to become more popular in this country as at the moment it's a good and cost effective alternative to slime and seems to offer some advantages that slime doesn't have which is a bonus.

When it comes time to change my tyres I think I'll be getting some new innertubes (not sure how old these ones are) and I'll be using it again.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P.S. No problem ride-on-tps, and thanks for taking the time to come here and offer people here a discount. That's very good of you :) Thanks for the great service as well. It allowed me to get the tyres sorted quickly before I left on my trip and was reassuring to know I had some protection as I wasn't carrying tubes or irons with me. Much appreciated :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Maybe Rugged Roads couls stock some at the National Meet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congratulations to;
Stormforce8
Lunlunzai
Digitalcaptive
ACP

Your free kits are on there way to you.

There is one more free kit up for grabs, just send your XRV username, name and address to me at [email protected]

If you dont want the free one and want to pay for it use the discount code xrv10 for a 10% discount.

Kind regards

Ride On (UK) Ltd

1 - 20 of 30 Posts