Honda XRV Forum banner

Ride: The Lysefjord road , near Stavanger, Norway

9K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Nickel Arse 
#1 ·
My son , Vidar, was out on one of our favorite motorcycle-roads near Stavanger, Norway on my 1994 Honda Africa Twin XRV750 in Dakar Rally trim. Riding the famous Lysebotn road from the Lysefjord to ca. 2000 feet / 640m at Ørneredet (The Eagles Nest) restaurant and viewpoint of the fjord and valley. The incline to the top is about 10%. Thats 1 meter incline for every 10 meters...not so noticeable on the video though...

Notice the 360 degree tunnel at the start....and try to count wheelies :p:
http://lovik.net

Video was recorded in 720 HD with a helmet- mounted ContourHD camera.
Link to the manufacturers website:
HD Helmet Cam - ContourHD and ContourHD 1080p by VholdR

The song is Porcupine Tree - Trains.

Regards
Arf
Stavanger
Norway

See less See more
#8 ·
Wow and so cheap but where would I keep the Ferry when I got it home!

Seriously - from where to where and what line? Cheaper to ride it around. Possibly hire a van and pop a couple of bikes inside.

G
#10 ·
I did that road a few years back with some mates and it was class. If I remember right we particularly enjoyed meeting an unexpected tight bend in the tunnel we couldn't see til nearly too late with water running across - the tunnel smelled for a bit after that :p

#11 ·
Nice :thumbup:

#12 · (Edited)
OOOOOOOOOOOOohhhhh I'll redo my route then

whoooooopyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy see you in Aug

as for those wanting ferries,
ride----- use my place as a half way stop over I'm 5 hours from Calais and then you could make the Danish port in 7 for the Kristiansand party boat

#13 · (Edited)
Snaphappy,

No party boat any longer...just a catamaran that takes 2 and a half hour and Color Lines large speed ferries taking 3 hours and a quarter to Kristiansand.
if Your coming this way (towards/through Stavanger) why not ride the Ryfylkeroad to Sauda and over the mountain to Røldal and then over the old Post route towards Odda (NOT through the tunnels, but over the mountain... Beautiful view toward Folgefonna glacier when Your over the top)..... lovely scenery and nice narrow roads (mostly)...se picture ( taken by Leland Sheppard, CA. USA ( http://classic.kodakgallery.com/lcshepp/main/norway_trip_2007_-_day_3_pm ):

Regards
Arf
Stavanger
Norway

#14 ·
It was a few years ago when I got the party boat, amazed they stopped, it was packed with Norwegian totty..................... excellent times

As for the roads we'll be heading down from Nordkapp to catch the boat back to Denmark. Which would you reccommend, out going is through Sweden via Putgarden and Denmark up to the Nordkapp and back down coastal Norway covering the Trolls Ladder and the Atlantic bridges
, no real plans just want to enjoy the rough direction of travel

#15 · (Edited)
Hi, sorry for the late reply .

I would reccommend to take a tour towards the Lofoten islands (Lofoten Info-Guide - Your Official Lofoten Travel Guide ) ....like being in the Alps by the sea:)...then take a trip with the ferry from Moskenes to Bodø...then ride one of Norway finest... the coastal road (RV17) from Bodø to Steinkjaer.... then the Atlantic Ocean Road, Trollstigen road, the Ryfylke road...walk to the the Pulpit Rock (Pulpit Rock, a flat granite slab, 25 metres square, which juts out 604 metres (1,982 feet) above Lysefjord)_

...then to the sea level again and take the ferry into Lysebotn and ride the road....maybe even walk to the Kjerag bolt...a large rock nestled between two mountains 1000 meter above the Lysefjord...if Your nerves will take...jump onto the Kjeragbolt ;):

Info on RV17 here:
https://www.rv17.no/index.krv?page=pager&art_id=4254

write me when Your near Stavanger, and I'll show You more sights ...
Have a nice trip !!!

Arf

#18 ·
WE'RE OFF
a couple of Ss' to complete then I'm heading up to Mels
A bit earlier than planned cos we have to be back earlier......Jobs eh, who wants them.

At least the weather is playing for us
Its P1ssing down

@ Arf
I have your number I'll ring when we're closer it will be before the Jazz fest but might be mid week so could be just a coffee and drool over the bikes
:happy8:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.