Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A woman took a motorcycle tour of the Chernobyl area (apparently you can get in for short durations, even thought the radiation is still lingering). Anyway - I thought I'd share the link here.

Some of the photos are pretty stark sobering...

Follow the "chapter" links at the bottom of the page to read the entire tale and see the pics.

GHOST TOWN - KiddofSpeed - Chernobyl Pictures - Kidofspeed - Elena

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be but i found it fasanating none the less

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i read a report in a magazine (may have been national geo) about a scientist girl who rides a motorbike through the irradiated sectors measuring radiation and taking samples of plants and soil for the UN or world health or whatever.
she doesnt wear any protective gear for the radiation, apparently its relatively safe if you move around and stick to the roads because the radiation fallout is in the dust and the wind keeps the tarmac clear, it gets into the water table and then into the plantlife, hence the samples. there are very hot places she cant go, mostly downwind westwards from the powerstation, but background radiation is low enough in places to get close enough to actually see the chimney.

hows that for a bike tour, any takers? you can still measure radiation in welsh sheep from that mess. anyone seen K19:widowmaker?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you just discribed her trip have a read i think youll find its the same storie

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
yeah i did, it didnt sound familiar but might be i suppose. i read it a couple of years ago

·
Registered
24 Posts
I read this story about a year ago, and hoax or not, it inspired a friend and my, for that years summer trip. As it happend, we never got to the tjernobyl area... a couple of hundred km´s from "the land of wolves" we decided not to go there anyway. Instead we went south, and headed for Romania... and the trip continued through Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Kroatia, and from there we headed north again, and reached home, after 3 weeks and 7000 km´s.... A really nice trip, thanks to Elena:p

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Next National anyone? lol

You wouldn't get me anywhere near there, not for a fekkin pension!
which is more than the families of those poor brave sods who threw themselves into the reactor fire ever got i expect.

i tried to find the report i was on about, im sure its not connected to this girl. theres a lot online about chernobyl as you'd expect, one site had eyewitness accounts from people before they died horribly, their care was atrocious and they just tried to cover it all up and let everyone die asap so not to cause any embaressment.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
People are still dying, in Belarussia where the majority of fallout landed ( and is still landing ) the death rate is greater than the birth rate, birth defects are not attributed to radiation and kids born with things missing, legs,arms,pallets,eyes etc often end up in state "orfanages" look here Friends of Chernobyl's Children - Home for a charity thats trying to help some of the kids out there, :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts