Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Not long passed my test and I'm picking up riding tips all the time. Read the various mags avidly and try out the techniques, although I guess a TA isn't quite what the bike journos have in mind when writing articles on body positioning etc.

Mostly I've been reading and trying roadracing style tips (dropping shoulder into corner, twisting the waist into the corner etc) but the last few days have been experimenting with some supermoto style. Keeping the inside arm straight pushing the bike over whilst staying more upright, even tried sticking a foot out a couple of times.

Guess there's no right or wrong way but would be interested in how you guys ride... knee down or foot forward? What do you find works for a dual-sport bike??

Cheers

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I'm forever being moaned at or castigating myself for sticking my leg out,is a bit dangerous but an instinctive thing from riding motocross when i was a lad.one day it'll throw me off if i get it stuck in a pothole:(

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I'm forever being moaned at or castigating myself for sticking my leg out,is a bit dangerous but an instinctive thing from riding motocross when i was a lad.one day it'll throw me off if i get it stuck in a pothole:(
Had the same worry myself, not so much of a problem on dirt or on a track, especially if you're wearing those steel soled supermoto boots.

Perhaps I'll keep my feet on the pegs but keep trying with the moto steering style.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I tend towards the upright / push the bike away style, especially in the shorter corners... So never a problem with chickenlines, but do watch out with any center stands and such. ;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
This is connected to my musing over a stiffer rear spring to put some more weight on the front. Compared to a sportsbike I'm thinking theres a lot less weight on the front on a trailie, hence the possible benefit of sticking a foot forward and keeping a bit more weight in the front end?

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
I would say create your own style on what feels natural to you. I rode motocross too when I was younger so I feel more comfortable on trailie bikes with its upright position than on a sports bikes. My riding style is a combination of off and on road. I find my self pulling up to the tank and pushing on the pegs and bars when travelling in urban areas because I find it easier to hustle the bike through traffic this way. On open roads when riding fast it feels more natural to tuck into the bike and shift my weight around to move the bike.

Most important thing is you get a feel for what the bike is doing beneath you, look and plan ahead so you can react to situation rather than get get caught out the rest will come naturally.

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
This is connected to my musing over a stiffer rear spring to put some more weight on the front. Compared to a sportsbike I'm thinking theres a lot less weight on the front on a trailie, hence the possible benefit of sticking a foot forward and keeping a bit more weight in the front end?
Try an off road day, most the manufacturers organise them now and a lot of what you learn transfers to the road.

Sticking a foot out or moving up on the tank is more about the front end grip and tightening the turning circle.

If you want to increase the weight over the front and sharpen the stearing then drop your fork down through the yolks rather than a stiffer rear spring which would push you wide into corners if you don't beef up the front at the same time.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Try an off road day, most the manufacturers organise them now and a lot of what you learn transfers to the road.

Sticking a foot out or moving up on the tank is more about the front end grip and tightening the turning circle.

If you want to increase the weight over the front and sharpen the stearing then drop your fork down through the yolks rather than a stiffer rear spring which would push you wide into corners if you don't beef up the front at the same time.
Will look into a off road day, can't help but keep watching cr's on ebay... not that I can really afford one (or for that matter think of anywhere I could ride one).

Why would stiffening the back end cause the bike to want to run wide? Don't really want to lose any ground clearance by dropping the forks in the yokes.

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
If you over stiffen the rear spring then the bike won't squat into a corner like it should do. When the bike squats, the geometry changes and the wheel base shortens which decreases the turning circle so if the bike doesn't squat then turning circle won't decrease as much.

When I said drop the forks I didn't mean inches but more like 5mm at a time. Make sure both forks are dropped equally then take the bike for a spin and see how it handles. If you need to adjust it some more, do so but in small increments. Not sure if your bike has preload but if it does make sure set the sag correctly this makes a hell of a difference to the bikes handling. It could take you all weekend findling with the forks and preload but it will be well worth it.

Try here for more info on correct setup http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
If you over stiffen the rear spring then the bike won't squat into a corner like it should do. When the bike squats, the geometry changes and the wheel base shortens which decreases the turning circle so if the bike doesn't squat then turning circle won't decrease as much.
Ah, OK that's making sense now, nice one. Will study the link too, useful stuff and I can see a bit of front end tweaking in the near future....

Thanks Niceguy.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
On open roads when riding fast it feels more natural to tuck into the bike and shift my weight around to move the bike.
Getting a knee down on a big trailie isn't easy, though hanging way off in even slight corners is a good way to make sportbikers-that-aren't-as-fast-as-they'd-like-to-be feel daft. :cool: :D

(It's amazing how many ducatis and cbr600rrrrrs you can humiliate while 2 up with panniers on an old airhead boxer)

·
"call me lucky"
729 Posts
personaly i ride with my feet on the pegs. that said you will be surprised just how fast you can get your foot out if it starts to get out of shape. you will always find the style that suits you best:)

·
Ex Vara Rider
446 Posts
Getting a knee down on a big trailie isn't easy, though hanging way off in even slight corners is a good way to make sportbikers-that-aren't-as-fast-as-they'd-like-to-be feel daft. :cool: :D

(It's amazing how many ducatis and cbr600rrrrrs you can humiliate while 2 up with panniers on an old airhead boxer)
Can't say I've tried to get my knee down on a trailie but if I do manage it send me some grapes whilst I'm in hospital because it won't have been intentional :(

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do this on the TA, and its saved me in diesel once or twice;)

I have two riding styles, supermoto for the TA and superbike for my Blade. I have to say that I am no riding god and find the TA more natural.

Rich

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
I do this on the TA, and its saved me in diesel once or twice;)

Rich
When I had my TA I once lost the front end completely (poorly timed flat!!) and managed to stamp the bike back up and stay on. Not sure how! :confused: I did however hurt my leg (muscle soreness) as it was not that slow, but luckily my boots didn't find grip and it all saved me going down the road on my ass!!:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Well this has given me a lot to think about.

Nice to hear that quite a few people use a more supermoto style, it feels natural to me a lower speeds on tight bends, more so than trying to lean with the bike... Keep wondering about doing a track-day, although way to expensive for me, but would be interesting to get some feedback from a pro; assuming they didn't just laugh after checking out the bike!

Cheers
David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts