Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, a fair number of you kept asking if we would stock them, so after much negotiation, and waiting 3 months for initial stock to arrive, Rugged Roads now has the ultimate crashbars in stock here in the UK. :-D

• 6mm solid steel tube-end brackets
  • 30mm diameter bottom tubes
  • 22mm top tubes
  • additional side tubes
  • Substantial downtube mounting brackets
Yes, they are more expensive than the Givi / SW Motech / H&B crashbars - but they are in a different league when it comes to strength and support. These will not flex and distort into the fairings, radiators, or oil cooler.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Are you doing the extra front extension over the lights? And does that work with the Buano front?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Are you doing the extra front extension over the lights? And does that work with the Buano front?
Well that would be cool, but I think Rugged roads fairing would look a bit lost behind the 'big' Ricky cross uppers......

heres a pic of them on a standard fairing ( my long sold bike) the uppers bolt onto the standard inner tubular light/ fairing supports which are
NOT fitted on the Rugged Roads conversion.......dooh

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK - to answer your questions..............

Are we going to be stocking the RD03 / RD04 Riky Cross crashbars? - Not right now as we've not had anyone asking for them. Also I'm not a big fan of the lower mounting points utilising the bashplate tabs - which Riky Cross use on their RD03/04 crashbars. If I can get him to alter them (I have asked before but to no avail), then we will have another look at them.
Obviously I can order them in if you want them.

Moving onto the Upper Crashbars - Magwa is correct.
The Boano conversion replaces the existing front subframe - which is used to mount the upper crashbars - so there is no mount point for them.

The Riky Cross Upper Crashbars will only mount to an Africa Twin with the original front subframe.

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Hi guys,
as I am substantially disappointed by my new Touratech protection bars (being placed straight over the lower screws of the side panels of the fairing and not allowing to remove the fairing without prior removal of the bars) I wonder if anyone could provide some infomation regarding the mounting of the Riky Cross bars to the front tube of the frame. My old SW Motech bars offered excellent protection and easy removal of the fairing, but had crappy U-shaped braces around the front tube, leaving significant dents in the tube.
As Rugged Roads does not have the mounting instructions on their website (yet), I´d appreciate any information on the mounting and whether they allow removal of the fairing.
Thanks, best regards
Chris

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
OK - to answer your questions..............

Are we going to be stocking the RD03 / RD04 Riky Cross crashbars? - Not right now as we've not had anyone asking for them. Also I'm not a big fan of the lower mounting points utilising the bashplate tabs - which Riky Cross use on their RD03/04 crashbars. If I can get him to alter them (I have asked before but to no avail), then we will have another look at them.
Obviously I can order them in if you want them.
That's the reason why I chose SW Motech for my old RD04 as having to remove the crashbars before removing the bashplate was a PITA.

If Rikycross were to alter them then I would definitely be intereseted.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,
as I am substantially disappointed by my new Touratech protection bars (being placed straight over the lower screws of the side panels of the fairing and not allowing to remove the fairing without prior removal of the bars) I wonder if anyone could provide some infomation regarding the mounting of the Riky Cross bars to the front tube of the frame. My old SW Motech bars offered excellent protection and easy removal of the fairing, but had crappy U-shaped braces around the front tube, leaving significant dents in the tube.
As Rugged Roads does not have the mounting instructions on their website (yet), I´d appreciate any information on the mounting and whether they allow removal of the fairing.
Thanks, best regards
Chris
Chris

Take a close look at this picture. These are the current Riky Cross crashbars mounted to my Africa Twin - removal of the front side panels is pretty straightforward without having to touch the crashbars.

Another set on Enzo's bike

Here's the lower mount

And here's a set in red showing the lower bracket

We have a delivery from Italy due in the next couple of weeks :thumbup:

We haven't published the install instructions as every set comes with a hard copy from Italy :D:D

Here they are :D

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the reason why I chose SW Motech for my old RD04 as having to remove the crashbars before removing the bashplate was a PITA.

If Rikycross were to alter them then I would definitely be intereseted.
+1 on the SW Motechs for my RD04 as well :thumbup:

I have repeatedly asked Riccardo if he will alter the mounting points for the RD03 and RD04, explaining that he would sell a lot more. So far nothing..........:( but I will keep pushing.............suggesting a design change to an Italian artisan is fraught with danger.............

·
Registered
232 Posts
Those do look really neat.

Still I wouldn`t trust anything whats comming from them.
But thats only my opinion :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any news on the next shipment?:toothy9:

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Any news on the next shipment?:toothy9:
Yup............should have been here by mid April :rolleyes:

Then promised for end of April.......................:rolleyes:

Riccardo's latest update is that our stock will be leaving his workshop at the end of next week........................:rolleyes:

I've given up chasing him as he just tell's me what he thinks I want to hear.............so they'll be here when they get here.:thumbup:

I will post back here when everything is physically on our shelves - (but I'll be dropping you an email to confirm yours have been shipped :thumbup: )

As well as the lower crashbars, we're also expecting some of the upper crashbars as well. :-D:thumbup:

Dealing with Italian artisans is a completely alien concept to the rest of the business world...................:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yup............should have been here by mid April :rolleyes:

Then promised for end of April.......................:rolleyes:

Riccardo's latest update is that our stock will be leaving his workshop at the end of next week........................:rolleyes:

I've given up chasing him as he just tell's me what he thinks I want to hear.............so they'll be here when they get here.:thumbup:

I will post back here when everything is physically on our shelves - (but I'll be dropping you an email to confirm yours have been shipped :thumbup: )

As well as the lower crashbars, we're also expecting some of the upper crashbars as well. :-D:thumbup:

Dealing with Italian artisans is a completely alien concept to the rest of the business world...................:D:D:D
any coming that will fit an RD03 with a fat tank :)

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
owwwwwwwwwwwwwww... not more waiting... :( :-|
to be fair I am waiting for EVERYTHING at the minute so it fits the pattern of things...
I think as Rugged Roads you guys need to go and meet him (if not done already) and take him out for a meal or two... keep him sweet .. he'll like that.. then I can get my crashbars... woot!

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
Hello;

Fitted these yesterday, they are almost central, I think the right handside one is 0.5cm closer to the fairing than the left hand side at a couple of points... is this OK ? or do I get the OCD on and start micro-fettling? I don't think they're gona move anymore though...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Gotta call Rugged Roads!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Mine are slightly out. Not gonna worry too much until the next service when I may have another play with the middle tube that connects the bars.

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Hi Olionel or Barftone Would anyone of you be good enough to measure the total width of the crashbars on the part that sticks out on the bottom run of the crashbar.I have to take my @ through a very narrow gate ,the handle bars just clear the gate but there is not much room at crash bar height.As i would like to get a set of these bars .Cheers Francis:thumbright:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts