Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the deed is done.

I have fitted a pair of Continental TK16/17. There is plenty of tread
depth on the rear (8.5mm) & they are designed for heavy bikes.

They have been fitted for 2 weeks now & have covered nearly 1000m
with no visible wear on them.
They are very stable & confidence inspiring in bad weather. In the
recent snow around the midlands, I found it difficult to make the
rear break away under power where on the previous Distanzia it was
easier to provoke a slide.
Dry riding is no problem & as I don't try to get pegs etc down, the
performance is more than adequate.

I paid £145.00 for the pair from my local Tyre supplier.

I will keep you all updated as the year goes by.

Mik.

·
Am I that old?????????
214 Posts
1000 metres, not bad :thumbleft:

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I too was tempted to say the same.... but decided against...

:bigsmurf:

Isn't there a tyre thread (whoehahahaha) here somewhere?

Cheers,
T.

·
Registered
58 Posts
tyres again sorry.

When I bought my bike it had michelin anakees on, but only about 2000 miles left. I have since bought (after scanning this whole forum for tyre reviews) metzeler tourance, and for me it has transformed the bike, excellent traction in the wet too, and when you give it some beans you can feel it gripping!

£145 FWR, London.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Top pic - Roly of Grange Hill.
Setting off on a tangent, I have Zammo's signed photo in my collection - of about 5.
Other gems include Barry Took from Points of View (calm yerself) and the jewel in the crown: Sally James of Tiswas (phwoarrrrrrr!).

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
rear tyre

what do you think abouth changing the rear tyre originally 140/80/17 with 150/70/17? Here in Romania roads are better now....

·
Registered
126 Posts
you're better off stinking to the 140, the rim is wide enough to suit the 150 width tyre, it makes the profile of the tyre rounder.
In order to put wider tyres on you'd have to put wider rims on, if they'd fit.
I've got a 150 on at the moment but will change back to 140 in the near future.

Andy

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Has anyone with an RD07 tried fitting 130's instead of 140's? There is a big price difference between the two, and I can't see that the extra 10 mm will make any real difference to the contact patch. M & P list a 130/80S17 Tourance for £59.99 and a 140/80HR17 for £83.99. While the speed ratings are obviously most of the price difference, that £24 might be worth while considering what has been discussed on this thread. I'd have used a 130/80S17 on my Transalp, and only in the last 2 or 3 years have I been using radials. I was just curious to see if anyone had tried this and what the difference in hanlding is. The RD07 has a wider rim than the Transalp, so the tyre profile is likely to be altered although it should still fit. I'd like to try Metzler Enduro 3's as well. Has anyone tried these? I found they weren't a bad compromise for road and off road, but I think they are available only in crossply form, so I was wondering what they are like after using standard radials.....

Stig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts