Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to make one of these for ages.
Last week I stumbled on the right ingredients so I introduce to you the newest addition to the catalogue from Poorasfeck

After five minutes in the shower from different angles, result...shower-proof, box is rated to IP65 dont think its been compromised.

inside view :mrgreen:

so whaddaya fink,

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rods are 10mm alu' tubing
paper is cut down A4 sheet taped together with a width of 19cm,
Holder in total is 210x115x75mm with the winding knobs the full width is 265mm

I plan to get some "P" clips for fitting to a handlebar brace

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Dead impressed with that. I have seen some made with tupperware boxes and the like but that is as good (or better) than the commercial ones because of the water resistance.
Are you thinking abought a bit of backlighting. The T Tech ones can have an LED strip behind the paper.
For paper I have an inexhaustible supply from cutoff CAD printing.

Ps the lid thumb screws are neat.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I like that Nick , not that I'll ever use one but that is a brilliant piece of poorasfeck and appreciate a good bit of mcguivering.:thumbleft:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I do have a LED numberplate light that would sit in nicely

may be too bright though.
In my van I fitted leds from a 5m strip, may have a section of three kicking about somewhere

The touratech lighting is low green. Looks like the fluroesence in instruments on a Lancaster bomber :D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Excellent Nick

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Excellent job, will work just as well as the pucker ones. Now add a motor and a button on the left side of the bars:D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Looks a great bit of kit.

Excuse my ignorance but where do you get the printed scrolls from? Being more a 'paper map' man this looks like an improvement on my system of bits of felt tipped paper in the tank-bag top.
Are theey just for rally use or can you get tarmac versions?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but where do you get the printed scrolls from? Being more a 'paper map' man this looks like an improvement on my system of bits of felt tipped paper in the tank-bag top.
You can download free software off the web. I will post up a link when I am on a PC.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looked at those and was tempted, truth is I don't need one but I love the challenge of making things, those are a bargain and Kitped made me a very good offer on his last one, I was going to get it and convert to motorised. Then I found the ingredients to make one from scratch. Buying stuff in small quantities I have probably paid out close to the Raid version but with the fluffy feeling.

There are a few software options some even plot the route from A to B, others are complete manual entries.
My printout I pulled from the web on a picture search and printed to A4, the proper software you can opt for print width.

have used this
Track & Road --- Online help --- Motorbike roadbook software help

and then there are these road-book editors
Roadbook Editor [QuoVadis GPS Software Wiki]
Roadbook Assistant Freeware Download Software Roadbook Assistant - Haus & Hobby

you'll have to search for the right one for you

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
You can get stick on fluffy bits too Nick

I looked at RS and Maplins to get the parts to make one up but could not find anything suitable at the time so I went with the raid designs one

Stanblokes satnav packed up with all the waypoints in so we'd have been literally lost without the roadbook. It was a great learning curve and I was glad I modified the scroller as we had a lot of ground to cover so scrolling and riding on the move really helped

Great work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts