Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to ride the @ over the Pyranees from Santander to Roscoff next summer.

Paper roadbook or Sat nav or both?

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Planning to ride the @ over the Pyranees from Santander to Roscoff next summer.

Maps in the tankbag to increase the sense of adventure - then switch to GPS when you get into town and need to find an actual address.

I love to use maps, just looking at them makes me want to explore..........you don't get that with a GPS as it's very clinical, but ultimately takes you where you want to go.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
I am with Storm, MAPS.. Road book only helps if you go thought all the effort of witting line by line directions, ride, find nice stop, stop, get coffee, pull out maps pick next direction go... much more fun.. I found i dont use my GPS at all any more..

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
even if you mean sat nav by gps then i would go with both... in fact i prefer 3 systems; rolling road book with map data, gps using waypoints and lastly a sat nav to locate hotels/campsites when you just cant be arsed to use the map & gps. No fan of sat navs on there own, infact i think the blooming things are more trouble than they are worth if not used with local knowledge or a map!

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
If you're on holiday, I would just have a good map. :D

You spend more time looking at the gps than on the superb scenery that you will be passing through.

Before you start each days riding look at the map and decide where you want to go and write it on some paper, put the directions in the top of your tankbag and then just ride. It really dose'nt matter if you get a bit lost or sidetracked. YOU ARE ON HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

take your time and enjoy your hols mate.:D:D:D:D

G

·
I'd go for Sat Nav, I never look at the thing but I can hear voices (well, a voice) that tell me where to go....

Done a fair bit in Europe and the only time it gets confused are in them bloody big tunnels that our euro-cousins are keen on digging......it's a real cheap and nasty one too, just made a bracket to stick it behind the screen and wired it into the intercomm...

If Reaper and Fish are listening (reading ??) then they can thank me for that ! They'd still be lost in Begium with thier maps if it wasn't for my Sat Nav.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.

I think I will stick with maps & a list in the tank bag.

I love using maps to plan a trip. Michelin maps, Google Earth & a notebook is a great way to spend hours.

If I can borrow a GPS/Sat Nav I may load it with waypoints in case I get stuck. Took a borrowed one to Germany last year and used it twice when lost in cities. Batteries ran out after 10 mins each time, but it got us on the right road.

:toothy4:

·
Registered
376 Posts
My preference is GPS/Sat Nav and maps. The problem with maps on their own is that they are useless unless you know exactly where are when you reference them and for me I'm normally lost at that point anyway, the beauty of GPS is that it gives you a real point of reference if you need it. Once you have established your position, then nothing beats a map for planning the next stage of the journey.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Maps for outside of towns/cities- if you get lost so what, you're on holiday and you never know what you may find going off your planned route. :D

GPS for towns and cities when you are looking for specific accommodation.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Re: roadbook or satnav?

SatNav. :thumbleft:

Unless you've got experience using a roadbook they can be quite difficult and confusing. Plus transcribing a route from large scale maps is a skill picked up through practice and experience. You could keep it simple by just noting down the villages/major roads along the route, but you may as well enter them into the satnav instead.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Re: roadbook or satnav?

SatNav. :thumbleft:

Unless you've got experience using a roadbook they can be quite difficult and confusing. Plus transcribing a route from large scale maps is a skill picked up through practice and experience. You could keep it simple by just noting down the villages/major roads along the route, but you may as well enter them into the satnav instead.
You must never have heard of ViaMichelin ?, just plug in your start and destination points or post codes and print off straight to your road book. I use it all the time and it works brilliantly right across Europe and particularly in the UK.
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm old school, maps and I suppose the tank bag list is just a road book anyway. No one has mentioned a compass, very handy to include a compass direction in the tank bag list for getting you out of a town or just to reassure yourself that you're going in the right general direction.

However; a basic handheld gps can be great to give you a grid reference IF you've really lost your bearings.

ps. I'm jealous. have fun.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
"lost" is just a state of mind. While you are "lost" what you are actually doing is working out the way to your next destination. :confused:

Maps!!! They tell all you need to know about where you are and where you are going.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've picked up a cheap Garmin Quest to load my campsites into (as a back up) and I've increased my, already obsessive, collection of Michelin Maps. I've also got a compass, a notepad and a phrase book.

As I probably have the biggest panniers on the forum I'm contemplating taking my own rescue dog! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts