Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a known issue with the AT? Noticed a puddle on my garage floor, been dreading finding out the cause but it just seems to be the rubber gasket.

From what I can see it looks fine though and I'm confused as to why a fairly durable looking gasket could just fail suddenly.

Best pic I could manage attached!

Looks like a fairly easy swap...right?

Edit: Rear of the rear cylinder, left/near side

·
Registered
552 Posts
Happened to me also. The tabs that lock the gaskets in place are on the top (obviously idiot designed it) so it locks to the cover and not the cylinder and therefore the gasket has to be glued to the cover otherwise it just moves all over. You could also try to put some thin washers on cover bolts so you can tighten the gasket a bit more, maybe that would help.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
I doubt you could tighten the gasket up. When mine leaked (Transalp) it wend hard & brittle - ceramic like, replacements are not expensive & an ideal time do do the valves/choke cables etc

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do start to weep with age/mileage but do it gradually.
The rubber gradually goes hard and brittle from the exhaust heat .
Of course, that makes sense; especially as it is on the rear cylinder. Cheers!

Happened to me also. The tabs that lock the gaskets in place are on the top (obviously idiot designed it) so it locks to the cover and not the cylinder and therefore the gasket has to be glued to the cover otherwise it just moves all over. You could also try to put some thin washers on cover bolts so you can tighten the gasket a bit more, maybe that would help.
Glad it's just one of those things that happens :thumb: wemoto have all the parts I need

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sometimes new gaskets leak. Fitting a very thin layer of sealant is an improvement on factory fitment. Not a bodge. Quite a few new bikes come back to dealers with leaking rockers. F800s were bad for this. The official dealer BMW repair was to refit with a sealer. Sealants are so good these days, gaskets are being replaced by it as it is cheaper and fastener to produce bikes that way..

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new gasket is already on order don't worry Phil :D

I'd never heard of universal blue though and had to Google it. Looks like it would be useful for holding a new gasket in place on those jobs where the thing just wants to fall off all the time, and would then go on to give a final level of air tightness, so cheers for that Ted.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Sometimes new gaskets leak. Fitting a very thin layer of sealant is an improvement on factory fitment. Not a bodge. Quite a few new bikes come back to dealers with leaking rockers. F800s were bad for this. The official dealer BMW repair was to refit with a sealer. Sealants are so good these days, gaskets are being replaced by it as it is cheaper and fastener to produce bikes that way..
My post was referring to usung sealant to reuse the old, knackered gasket. It's just not worth taking a chance for the work involved IMHO.

Phil

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well for the sake of £12 I can't argue.. Often they cost £50.

A light smear of sealant will never harm though. It's a way to be sure it won't leak.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
471 Posts
I noticed a similar oil weep on my @ in exactly the same location a few weeks ago. I'll wait till I give the bike it's annual spring clean when the tank & panels all get removed and replace the gasket then as the weeping is not severe. Or I guess I'll renew it beforehand if there's a pool of oil on the floor one morning!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shame yours is doing it too, good to know it's just one of those things rather than anything too serious though

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I don't see a running oil leak in that first post picture??? Are you sure that is the source?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As sure as I can be...bear in mind it hasn't been ridden in months due to the leak and the weather so most of the leaked oil has ended up in the roasting pan under the bike :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
I seem to have (and seem to have had for the three years since riding my RD04) a drippy leak from the rear rocker, and / or head.

I ride about 100 miles a week, and the oil needs topping up by a pint or so every couple of weeks, and my bash plate seems to collect most of it ;)

When I swapped out my starter motor a couple of months ago, the recess where the starter fits was minging and swimming in old oil, my engine needs a strip and rebuild though, so hopefully new gaskets all round should stop the oil drops...

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update.

I think changing the rear gasket has fixed it.

It's actually an easy enough job. The carbs only need to be removed to change the front gasket. I think it took about 2 hours start to finish. :thumbup:

Thanks all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts