Honda XRV Forum banner
9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Buellie 
#1 ·
I have had a full on couple of days receiving one to one intense training with www.edenproridertraining.co.uk and I am mentally exhausted.
It was however all worth it as I passed my ROSPA advanced course today with 81 percent, giving me a silver. Only down side is that 86 percent would have been gold but being a numpty I thought the speed limit on a dual carraige-way was 60mph, it is 70mph and so I wasn't making optimum progress.

I have a photo of my cherished pass but cannot figure how to post it, it doesn't have a URL address, just on my computer......

#2 ·
I didn't even realise ROSPA did motorcycle tests i thought it was only pushbikes. Last ROSPA course i did was cycling profiency in the early 80's

#4 ·
It was a practical test and the pressure was on. I wasn't sure about the limit so thought if I do 60 I am not breaking the law, 70 might be. He deducted 5 point for not making the optimal progress, silver is still a good result though considering I wasn't even sure that I would pass last week.
He said it was my only real fault except for not looking in my mirrors enough, every 20 seconds apparently is the standard. I did mention it was a bit harsh but was told "we are advanced riders and I should know my highway code" I asked if it had changed since 1980. :p

#12 ·
I was told 6 feet.

DC is 70mph if seperated by a barrier or land of 6 feet or more. DC is 60mph if not seperated by a barrier or seperated by land under 6 feet.

I'll try and find a link to confirm but I'm tired and off for my beauty sleep the now :D

#11 · (Edited)
Carriage way with a grass reservation are classed as single carriage ways even if they have two lanes either side , hence 60 mph .
When there is a steel separating barrier it is classed as a dual carriage way so 70 mph.
That's why barriers are springing up between them .
As I said " unless stated otherwise"

This was covered in a previous post by more qualified people than me .

#17 ·
Definitely no barrier needed for a dc. See http://goo.gl/maps/xJI37

We get this making progress thing all the time. Basically as an IAM / RoSPA rider (even if it is safe to do so) there is no requirement to go everywhere at the speed limit but you have to at least demonstrate to your examiner at test time you are capable of riding safely to the speed limits and realistically the only way you can demonstrate that is to err demonstrate that.

#15 · (Edited)
In the past I've raised this with both Fife and L&B police forces (now both part of Police Scotland) and there is no hard and fast rule about whether something is or is not a dual carriageway that can be gleaned by the presence (or not) of grass and or barrier.

Dual Carriageways should be signed as such and will by default carry a 70mph limit unless posted otherwise. Any other four lane (or more) road regardless of what's in the central reservation is just a multi lane single carriageway and will have a posted speed like any other. (I'm excluding Motorways here)

Of course I'm sure we can all find an exception on google earth where a dc sign is missing (there should be one at the start and a warning sign where side roads join) but as far as the two Scottish Police forces were concerned the DC sign ( usually 70 but can be less if signed ) and posted limits for non dc (less) dictate the max speed.

#18 · (Edited)
Basically a dual carriageway has to be separated by either a barrier or piece of land whereby the traffic travelling in one direction cannot cross onto the opposite carriageway (without mounting over the kerbs of course) The speed limit is 70mph if in a national speed limit.

If the carriageway has no central reservation, i.e. is seperated by double white lines then the speed limit is 60mph. (Hence the reason quite often see speed cameras on this type of road)

The ROSPA examiners are very experiencd Class 1 police motorcyclists and it would be very unlikely that they would give out wrong information, believe me he was right.

Anyway congrats on the pass Paul. You can retake it for the gold if you want to. I am out of here now on this issue before it goes right off track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.