Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Woohoo!!!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We (the old man and myself, although mainly the old man, I've been relegated to holding things) are replacing the cam chains on my 98 RD07. Getting the rotor bolt off proved to be something of a trial of biblical proportions. The method described in the book (using a strap to hold the rotor) and used by others on the site just didn't work. At all. In any way. So, the old man always being up for a challenge decided to machine a tool specifically for the job. This is it:

SAM_1173.jpg

SAM_1172.jpg

SAM_1169.jpg

SAM_1168.jpg

Worked like a charm and took less than 5 seconds to get the bolt out. If you ignore the day it took to make it...Not sure how the rest of you do it, but this seemed to be the only option as the methods described in the book (including thinking outside the box) didn't work.

Just thought I'd share.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Can't beat home made tools good for fun and you feel like you've acheived something, but when i needed to get mine of on my Xr400 i had a oil filter bolt from a CB 250 wet dream screwed it into the hole and smacked it on the head with a dead blow hammer and the rotor came off with the shock

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I usually put a piece of copper in the teeth of the primary drive (flatten and fold up a piece of 22mm pipe - used to use a 2p but loose change is a bit hard these days). That takes a couple of minutes.

Once the bolt's out, I've got an XS650 Layshaft in my "tools I don't often use" box. Screw it in with a large adjustable spanner and give it a gentle smack. It's just like Jason does with the Superdream oil filter bolt but I've shared them in the past extracting rotors.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Nice fabrication you did there but I'm not sure why the strap method never worked for you. I used a nylon oil filter strap wrench with a 1/2" drive on the end....and inexspensive to buy too. The 1/2" drive is the key for backing it up with a breaker bar or even further backing it up with a large adjustable wrench on the flats. A 17mm impact socket and an
air impact gun will whiz that sucker right off. For you first timers....don't forget this bolt is a left hand thread.

·
Woohoo!!!
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah GSPD, I've got the exact same strap and impact wrench. That didn't work either. Saw how you'd done it and figured should be possible, but was an absolute no go despite much effort and swearing. The strap just moved around the rotor and couldn't hold it in place, so plan B was hatched.

Tool has proved very useful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I struggled for two evenings then rented a grunty impact wrench. I had both bolts off in 10 seconds flat. #righttool. Phew! What a relief.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
To be honest the strap wrench I was using along with a power bar to start with, but no joy. With the impact wrench the strap was almost not needed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts