Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all - just picked up a XL600V thats in great condition but needs some tlc.
Anyone got recommendations for a set of good quality round mirrors to make it look original.
I’ve seen plenty on eBay that would fit just hard to Judge the quality.
Cheers all
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
this one?

how much did you pay for it? i see the bidding reached £2,400. reserve not met

that's an imported bike and i think the mirrors shown are the originals.

also, that front brake disc protector is very very rare.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply, yeah I see now the mirrors should be square/ oblong? Mine seem to be completely square. They look a bit odd.
yes it is the bike from the eBay advert. I’m very pleased with her so far. Needs some tlc and tires.
can you recommend the right type/shade of paint for the frame and swing arm? I’m thinking hammerite will be good in the long run as it’s tough but not sure if it will blend in ok as I’m only dealing with the scruffy bits.
Mirror Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
i have always used Hammerite "smooth" silver spray paint for the swingarm, with "Zinc 182" spray as an anti-rust primer/undercoat

i think those mirrors are the original Honda ones

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have always used Hammerite "smooth" silver spray paint for the swingarm, with "Zinc 182" spray as an anti-rust primer/undercoat

i think those mirrors are the original Honda ones
Thanks - they might be the same as the original butn
the XLV750R had square mirrors

Yes! Maybe I’ll source some square/oblongs to keep it looking original, although those twin headlight fairing kits look amazing….

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. My bike had a fan override switch. The guy said it did work automatically off the thermostat but they put the switch in just incase…

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
on any normal temperature day, in normal riding, the fan should never come on. in the uk i've only seen my 600 fan come on about twice, always in stationary traffic on very hot days

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ll monitor it next time I’m out. I suppose no proper coolant might make it boil quicker. I’d like to test the thermostat just to be sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
on any normal temperature day, in normal riding, the fan should never come on. in the uk i've only seen my 600 fan come on about twice, always in stationary traffic on very hot days

So if my fan doesn’t come on at nearly red line but works with the manual override switch I should check the thermostat?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
i guess. translaps don't suffer from overheating so i would be suspicious why that switch was fitted in the first place

i would flush the system, might be crud or air in the rads. check the water pump and thermostat works too

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
So if my fan doesn’t come on at nearly red line but works with the manual override switch I should check the thermostat?
Pull the wire off the fan switch on the bottom of the rh rad, and earth the terminal to the switch body - the fan should come on (with ignition switched on), that will test the fan circuit.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts