Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know, it's that time of year when you can't move for Charity events and people trying to prise even the smallest of coins from out of your poor cold hands, but please spare a minute to check this out.

This guy is going to give up his Christmas and New Year this year to ride a bike all the way round the coast of our island, big deal you say, loads of people have done that, Ok, but this guy is 52 and he's doing it on a 650cc bike, still not tricky enough, well he's doing it in the middle of winter, still not impressed, well bear in mind then that he's got a few now benign inoperable tumours pressing on his spine and is compelled to take morphine every day just so he can keep going, if you're not impressed by now then I'm afraid there's no hope and you should stop reading right here......

If you're as blown away by this guys courage as I am and want to know more then check out his website and if you are able to share a few of those coins then please dig deep and help to make this a success and worth his missing his Christmas dinner :thumbup:

Round the Coast for Cancer

p.s. I have no connection with Rob, unfortunately like many I have far too many connections with cancer, I have lost two uncles to bowel cancer and an aunt and a few months ago my father to lung cancer, it's in memory of them and that this disease be beaten that I make this request.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks to the one or two guys who have made a donation, this guy's main problem is that he's had little advertising and even though it's good idea he's left it a bit late, he's very unassuming and genuinely grateful for any support he recieves.

I on the other hand am very pushy and an arrogant %&*$ as many of you already know, so please don't feel there's any critiscm of of anyone on here when I say we really could do better, I know you all have your own commitments and it's a bit late in the day, but please if you can send a donation for whatever you can afford.

Anyone wondering what Christie's do please follow the link on the site or badger Kymmy for details (if you dare :D), in a nutshell they are one of the biggest cancer research establishments in Europe, so while they do treat local people directly (Manchester, Cheshire, Lancs, Mersyside) their influence, developements and treatments spread much, much, further

And a big thanks to all who do manage to lend a hand in some way :thumbup:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, he was especially keen for some company along the way, so if anyone wants to meet up please contact him through the web page.

He will be very grateful of all and any donations, I see there's a few from on here have donated already, but there's still a long way to go and I'm sure the site will stay open for a while after the event.

Thanks again for all your support :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i would be honoured to accompany this courageous man for a small part of the way with craig and anyone else i can persuade meeting at scarbrough on the 28th

i think it would be great if as many people from this site as possible from their respective(coastal) regions could accompany and support this man in this very bold venture along a very small part of his overall journey.

it's what we're all about......:thumbright:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thanks guys, he was especially keen for some company along the way, so if anyone wants to meet up please contact him through the web page.

He will be very grateful of all and any donations, I see there's a few from on here have donated already, but there's still a long way to go and I'm sure the site will stay open for a while after the event.

Thanks again for all your support :thumbup:
Hi Dilbert. Why not suggest he joins this forum?

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dilbert. Why not suggest he joins this forum?
I just posted him a link to this so you've done that for me :D

He's just joined the Versys forum as that's what he'll be riding for this epic adventure, dunno maybe he'll join here too, or maybe one lot of rabble is enough for him :thumbup:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the lunatic set off from llandudno at 9am this morning and arrived safely at Bristol some time and the first 350 miles later, all going swimmingly well at the moment despite his clinical insanity :thumb:

He's running a blog so why not click on the link in my sig to find out where he's up to, he's a macc lad like meself so don't worry about the sarky comments, it's wot we calz 'umour :D

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guys and see below for an update on the first two days, I'm afraid the event hasn't been as slickly organised as the usual fare on this site hence the lack of communication, I've posted on his blog and hope to get some more direct contact set up soon, but I was late finding out about this too, anyway............

Day 1 Llandudno to Bristol

Today I have ridden through gorgeous sunshine and crisp clean air, for about ten mins then. - well the rest was for "ard hairy arsed bikers only, First it rained, then it snowed and rained, then it snowed, rained, and the wind blew the snow and rain into every orifice i currently have. then all froze into one mass of sodden frozen thing = ME.

I have ridden 350 mls, been given my lunch for free from a roadside butty van. wiped snow off my glasses blown under my visor, and am now sat in a warm cosy house in Bristol. having eaten a marvellous casserole and mince pies. Cheers Jan and Jeremy.
Off to do Radio Bristol

Day 2 Bristol to Land’s End
Well - been stopped for speeding but ---hey plod let me off, nice plod. Met up with Dave and family this am, nice to see some familiar faces en-route.
Made it to Lands End in V bad conditions, so only 300mls today.
Bit stuck for words today cos one of the nicest men I ever known, respected and admired has lost his battle with the big C this am, Terry.
My thoughts and heartfelt condolences to Jane. xxx
So with more determination than ever, -- onwards to finish what I started.
Please donate to fight this hideous disease.
Rob
Happy xmas and thanks so much for all your donations.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I met up with Rob Today in Exeter all i can say is what a TOP Bloke he had rode up from Cornwall on very icy roads and freezing cold conditions but still had a big smile on his face:) As we stood and chatted 2 cars spun on the ice on the road leading to the petrol station! I Rode with him for a few miles after buying him a coffee and a mince pie.
If you haven't already donated then please do as he deserves all the support we can give him :thumbup:
Danny

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one Stubbow, Costa Coffee too :thumbup:

winxp-master, appears he had to sleep on the floor of a house for sale last night, but he's sorted for accomodation up round your way, thanks all the same :thumbup:

The only place left is St Andrew's, so if there's anyone round that part who can help out, please get in touch via his website (link below).

Thanks to all who've donated and we've managed to get him up to £855 so far, one last push to get him over a grand before he gets back would brilliant, so if you've any spare change left then whatever you can spare will be really appreciated :D

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Ok,

I've donated some cash for this and I am planning on meeting up at Ullapool.
Any body else from the Highland Brigade fancy joining me on the 30th ??

This guy has got some guts, just want to give a bit of support and encouragement for a bit of the trip :thumbup:

I am going to try and contact Rob to see what time we can meet up at Ullapool and take a blast down with him part of the way.

Just as well it's on the 30th and not the 31st --- that would have been a problem ;);):D:D:D

·
Hill Rider
3,094 Posts
. . . . I am planning on meeting up at Ullapool.
Any body else from the Highland Brigade fancy joining me on the 30th ??
All depends on how low the temp drops and how much snow we get!
Could hardly walk on the paths & roads round here today (no alcohol involved - honest Guv :D), the ice was that bad.
LF - call when you have details :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
UP THE WORKER COMRADE
294 Posts
Like SteveT, Craig and Palerider I would love to give this guy some support and ride with him for a while, however, the roads are very bad and the weather forecast for tomorrow is cold and a severe frost overnight in the north east the roads will be trecherous.

It just makes one realise just what a brave lad he is, my riding it all about 'me having fun', this lad could not have chosen worse weather. The very least we can do it to donate a few pounds.

UP THE WORKERS!

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fantastic guys, we're just over the £1,000 mark and just as importantly there are guys here and on the other forum who are helping him out with support or friendship along the way, any real names you see on the Just-Giving site I guess are mostly friends, or people he's met along the way, any nicknames are people either from here or the other forum and you should all be righteously proud af whatever support you've given in whatever way.

It was all a bit "last-minute" so this makes your contributions all the more valued :thumbup:

p.s. the Just-Giving site is still open :D

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Late update from another amatuer organiser from the Versys site

Rob's off at 8 on Monday from YO21 3ER, 4 riders have said they will join him - his host, two others and a chap from Redcar who's coming to show him the way North.
If anyone does want to join him in future, and can call or text between 6pm and 9.30pm before he gets his head down, rather than slow him up on the road - he has to stop to take a call - then his mobile is 0752 7795 958

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just made my donation and it makes me feel good after winging about the trivial things at Christmas..:(

The guy's an example to us all...:thumbup:

As I stated in the comments..'Don't count the day's..Make the day's count'

Well done Rob!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts