Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preping the @ for a short trip and I'm about to install a new clutch cable because the one thats in there is binding inside the housing. So as I'm about to pull this thing I see two major chafing spots. One behind the ignition and one behind the head pie on front cylinder. The one near the head pipe is really melting the housing and the one near the ignition is worn from rubbing. So bottom line anone have pics or a link to the proper route?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hey Papa..no pics but i just looked at mine and can give you directions.

From lever cable is fed downwards...

-fwd of upper triple clamp and left of ignition (aft of cable gaurd wire)

-fwd of upper rad mount

-aft of lower rad mount adjacent to frame

-hard right at lower oil cooler mount and aft side of frame

-you are now fwd of cylinder(below and aft of hot header by at least 2")
and adjacent to water pipe attaching to cyl. head

-hard right around cyl. to clutch inside of rubber water pipe

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying put the cable thru the stay next to the ignition and then down the frame on the left side of down tube near the oil cooler.Then in front of front cylinder behind header thru cable and hose stay and to the cable bracket. This picture shows the melt down on cable.
It was run down the right side of down tube.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In this photo you can see where I made my own route. But after checking what you said l have to take a better look. You can also see there is a cable stay mounted on the down tube of frame on the right side just above the last red tie tie. This is where the cable was monted when I took it apart. The cable was coming from handle down behind ignition and down the right side of down tube.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
So are you saying put the cable thru the stay next to the ignition and then down the frame on the left side of down tube near the oil cooler.Then in front of front cylinder behind header thru cable and hose stay and to the cable bracket. This picture shows the melt down on cable.
It was run down the right side of down tube.
Correct. I believe going down the right side of the center frame post is wrong.
Ok...pics. Only took a minute.

View looking down the left side. Front of rad.

View left side, aft of rad, (cable pictured between rad and oil cooler)

View right side, after cable has come through.

View right looking forward. Cable coming around cylinder base to clutch attach point.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
In this photo you can see where I made my own route. But after checking what you said l have to take a better look. You can also see there is a cable stay mounted on the down tube of frame on the right side just above the last red tie tie. This is where the cable was monted when I took it apart. The cable was coming from handle down behind ignition and down the right side of down tube.
That cable stay is for the horn wiring...at least on mine. I don't believe it is for the clutch.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By George I think your on to something. That would explain why the guy sold me the bike with two extra clutch cables.

Thanks for the help.:thumb:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
What year is your bike, I have a Genuine Honda set-up manual for a RD04 that shows cable routes.

Unfortunately I do not have scanner at home but could probably get a copy for you.

cheers, Bob.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is a 1998. I to have the Honda service manual and a hanyes.
Honda has the route,but not as clear as home photos.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As always, GSPD750 has come up with the goods :thumbup: Cheers

I've been struggling with getting the cable back where I thought it had come from but it seemed really awkward. Looking at the pics, it is obviously possible.

Gotta take this new one off now and put it on properly, I have the manual but couldn't really make out which way was which.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
As always, GSPD750 has come up with the goods :thumbup: Cheers

I've been struggling with getting the cable back where I thought it had come from but it seemed really awkward. Looking at the pics, it is obviously possible.

Gotta take this new one off now and put it on properly, I have the manual but couldn't really make out which way was which.
Like your sig says..'try everything twice'. I'm no different...
until I get it right. Seriously though. With clutch cables you have to note
"exactly" the way honda installed it. One wrong turn and it's to tight
for the steering or it's chafing somewhere, melting etc..

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After pulling the cable and looking at photos here and the drawings in the manuals. I'm not convinced the cable should pass behind the head pipe. The cable for sure needs to come down the left side of down tube, but the manuals show it coming out in front of the head near the top and over the front of the head pipe. This looks to be very tricky and will try evry option and post what looks the best. If the bike was still being made and if it was being sold in the US I would take a ride to the dealer to have a look.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
After pulling the cable and looking at photos here and the drawings in the manuals. I'm not convinced the cable should pass behind the head pipe. The cable for sure needs to come down the left side of down tube, but the manuals show it coming out in front of the head near the top and over the front of the head pipe. This looks to be very tricky and will try evry option and post what looks the best. If the bike was still being made and if it was being sold in the US I would take a ride to the dealer to have a look.
I can't see it going anywhere else but as shown in the following pic.
It would come up short any other way.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The verdict is yes that is the best route. I ran the cable every way one could and it will work many ways,but in the end the information you posted is the way to go!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,009 Posts
It definitely goes down the left side of the ignition barrel, through the curved wire guard in the headstock. Down the left hand side of the down tube (hard to get it through). Then it has to do some tight turns, two pairs of hands and swearing helps as it has sleeves and nuts that snag and you have to pull it back and forth to get it to follow the S shaped route. It definetly shouldn't touch any header pipes.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi all i still have my origional (factory fitted clutch cable) and have owned the bike from new. have also routed a spare cble alongside the origional.
I can take photos in daylight if it will help. regards mel

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure if you got the time I would like to see what yoy got.

Hi all i still have my origional (factory fitted clutch cable) and have owned the bike from new. have also routed a spare cble alongside the origional.
I can take photos in daylight if it will help. regards mel

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
well mine seems to follow the same route

The cable does go through the gap between pipe and clamp
then follows a natural curve behind the main engine brace close to the exhaust.

It then turns close to the clamp but not in it to its fixing point at clutch.
My spare routes the same way but as there is more cable i have forced it down out of the way .

Hope it helps iether way.And yes the spare is hard to put in place but well worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts