Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
i've seen all your comments and pics but i'm still none the wiser :confused: .

Am i right in thinking with all the previously mentioned routing that all your cables seem to route internally ( ie they seem to go between the rad and the front cylinder and no cable is visible once fitted )

The reason i ask is on my RD03 its routed from the lever outwards towards the front wheel and then back through the plastic rad gaurd ( one of the holes in it is longer for the cable to go through.

If your cables have a sharp bend or touch the exhaust it cant possibly be correct.................... can it ???

Mine simply has one swooping bend and isnt affected by full lock either way, it doesnt require any cable ties to keep it away from the exhaust and before you ask its a genuine cable.

just thought i'd let you know ;)

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Here you go.

Looks like it leave the clutch lever, goes down through the retainer, then passes between the headstock and left fork, behind the lower yoke.

It then crosses in front of the rads, and through one of the slots in the plastic panel below the left rad.

Pics sort of explain it.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks Bob but i was just repling to the previous people who had posted pics of weird routing. I was telling them how simply mine was routed

Mine is the same as yours and was the way i thought they all were routed.

sorry if i caused confusion

Ian

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks Bob but i was just repling to the previous people who had posted pics of weird routing. I was telling them how simply mine was routed

Mine is the same as yours and was the way i thought they all were routed.

sorry if i caused confusion

Ian
Weird routing? Their are many paths you can choose providing you have adjustment in the end but going though the rad gaurd adjacent to the header pipe is not the path honda choose when it came out of the factory. Gauranteed.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Weird routing? Their are many paths you can choose providing you have adjustment in the end but going though the rad gaurd adjacent to the header pipe is not the path honda choose when it came out of the factory. Gauranteed.

I'm pretty sure that it's the factory clutch cable following the factory routing (for the RD03 atleast)

If you look closely, all the holes in the lower rad panel are square except the one the clutch passes through, where one end of it is curved the same as the clutch cable. I'm pretty sure it's the same with my RD04 as well.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it's the factory clutch cable following the factory routing (for the RD03 atleast)

If you look closely, all the holes in the lower rad panel are square except the one the clutch passes through, where one end of it is curved the same as the clutch cable. I'm pretty sure it's the same with my RD04 as well.

Hello Bob. Ok. 2 models.2 cable routes. Makes sense. Speaking for the RDO7 I believe the pics meljordan and I have posted is the correct route.
cheers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry, didnt mean to cause offence, was simply saying that if one wants to route the cable so it has tight bends in it and it touches the exhaust then you better have plenty of spares.............. thats all ;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
sorry, didnt mean to cause offence, was simply saying that if one wants to route the cable so it has tight bends in it and it touches the exhaust then you better have plenty of spares.............. thats all ;)
No offence taken but your term weird made it sound wrong. If you would have said Honda's weird way...well then. ;) I don't own a RDO3 but I think we can now agree that the routes vary with models. The cable does not go through the rad gaurd on a RDO7 and yes it takes sharp bends as the cable conduit is designed for. I replaced my cable which I'm quite sure was the original honda. As mentioned already my pics of an RDO7 and meljordans RDO7 is the correct factory weird route. :thumb:

·
Registered
243 Posts
No offence taken but your term weird made it sound wrong. If you would have said Honda's weird way...well then. ;) I don't own a RDO3 but I think we can now agree that the routes vary with models. The cable does not go through the rad gaurd on a RDO7 and yes it takes sharp bends as the cable conduit is designed for. I replaced my cable which I'm quite sure was the original honda. As mentioned already my pics of an RDO7 and meljordans RDO7 is the correct factory weird route. :thumb:

ok good luck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Haha - wish I had read this earlier today! Had a bit of nightmare re-threading this for my RD04 (XRV-L) because I am re-building after a full strip 4 yrs ago, so almost all memories are gone*! My cable appeared to have chaffing in the two same areas mentioned by Papa Pete at the beginning of this thread - it looks like the previous routeing before I took it apart went over the top of the ignition and down the right hand side of the downtube - but after AGES playing with this route today, it simply did not work - not with the length of clutch cable available to me! Will be trying these suggested routes tomorrow - Thanks guys!

*and my laptop with all series of detailed photos was stolen last summer - I did try and be sensible, just didn't work out in the end...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts