Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One for Jocks and Northern folk... The sun is out and one's thoughts turn to biking holidays. Anyone any better suggestions - other than spending a night in Englandshire - as to how to get across to Europe, Bel/Ned/Fra with TA of course.

Eurotunnel I have found to be generally very good when living nearer, but those with a smattering of Geography will appreciate that Aberdeenshire is in a different country and further North than Moscow. Rosyth ferry looks horrendously expensive, as does the Tyne ferry, unless you folk know different. Plus it does take an age, so I don't think I have much choice other than a long ride South.

All suggestions gratefully received

Mark

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Come through Ireland. :thumb: Cork or Rosslare to Brittany/Normandy.

Now thats the best suggestion I would recommend - Belfast to Sligo and down to Cork would be an excellent start to the holiday - then Normandy to the Pair-of-Knees or get to Bilbao and San Sabastien - I watched the recent cycle stage race round Basque country and the roads up around San Sabastien are excellent with amazing views!
Head south via the coast of France, west coast is amazing but not a tourist destination which means cheap and empty roads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used the Rosyth ferry last year for a European trip, and i've just got a quote for a long weekend of £116 return, from 1st to 7th June this year.

To get that i changed the 4 berth cabin to a reclining seat and used the code "motorbike" which allows the bike to go free. That code may stop working at the end of April though.

The reclining seats are next to the bar which isn't great, but for both of my trips there were maybe 5 people in a seating area for 50 so you could crash out on the floor in a sleeping bag. There are toilets directly across from the seating area, and the disabled toilet has a shower in it.

It's probably cheaper than riding down to the southeast of England and taking a hotel for the night, or even camping, but the best part is you avoid the long motorway drag.

Having said that the Ireland detour sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Last year we rode down to Dover for the Calais ferry, did the Euro tour ending in Holland and returned Ijmuiden - Newcastle.

Doing it again I'd rather get a return ticket from Newcastle - Ijmuiden - Newcastle. It felt a pain travelling south for very little saving. The price of the Hull - Europoort boat's just about the same as the Newcastle boat, so no saving there!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents

Thanks for the tips - £116 return from Rosyth is certainly a steal - I'll give the website another go.

Thanks again

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you can get to Harwich in a day you could take the overnight ferry to Holland (Stena), arrive about 7am all fresh for a days ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts