Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have travelled on business in Ireland a few times a year for the last 20 years so I am aware of the geography of area. But I am not an expert on the routes in Ireland. However having had a chat with a friend of mine who now lives in Newbridge I though it may be helpful to share the fruits of the discussion and my knowledge with those on TLD who maybe interested.

For people who have not travelled much on the road in Southern Ireland please bear in mind that designation like N4 refer to a route and not to a single road so you may have to apparently turn off the road to stay on the route. Read all junction signs as you come to them. Know the next places your heading to as sometimes the signage is not all it could be.

Most road sign distances are in Km but there are still a few, especially in the quieter areas that are in miles.

As far as I have found there are no service stations on the motorways but then there is not that many miles of motorways. Petrol stations on the whole have a small shop especial with the major chains, so it is possible to fuel both bike and rider.

Below is the route I will most likely take, however it is not the definitive route. My track thorough Dublin is one I have used before although the buggers keep changing the road junction layouts which can be confusing. It is not the easiest route through Dublin to follow and they are / were undertaking monumental road works around the N7/M50 interchange.

Getting out of Dublin. (People who live in Dublin get lost in Dublin!)
All the major roads radiate out from Dublin like strands of a spiders web. There is the M50 which is also know or was known as the west link and is a semi circle round the west side of the city. All the major roads intersect with the M50 at some point. If you get lost in Dublin go in a straight line, look for bigger roads in that direction and sooner or later you will see an M50 sign. Follow it to the M50 and then you can loop around. It does have a toll section over the river.

For me I shall be heading out to the N7 so I will be looking for signs to the N7, Limerick and Naas. Taking a left out of the docks over the river at the first opportunity on a small toll bridge, along the beach front and then head west-ish looking for Crumlin and Walkinstown (districts in Dublin City) N7 etc. You pass very near to the Lansdown Road ground for those of you with a Rugby interest.

Once on the N7 (which alternates with the M7) at the N7/M50 interchange it’s head down and go SW passed the towns of Naas, Newbridge, Kildare, Portlaoise, Roscrea, Neagh and Limerick. Don’t go into the towns, stay on the main route.

At the end of the N7, (Roundabout) outside Limerick go on to the N20 (Left) don’t go in to Limerick on the N20 (right).

N20 loops round Limerick to the South.
After about 6 Miles on the N20 there is an interchange the N20 drops off to the left towards Cork but the road straight on becomes the N21. You want the N21.

Follow N21 to Tralee.

At Tralee you can take the N86 to Dingle or the N70 towards Milltown as far as Castlemaine and right on to the R561 to Dingle.

N86 to Dingle maybe the easier to follow but I have not travelled these routes.

Directions to the Hostel are from Irish Hostels website.
Dún Chaoin Hostel
Dún Chaoin, Baille an Fheirteiraigh, Tralee, County Kerry
Tel: +353-(0)66-9156121 | Fax: +353-66-9156355

Road/Car: From Tralee follow the signs to Dingle (N86). Follow the road from Dingle to Dun Chaoin by Slea Head or Ballyferriter. The Hostel is located 5miles/8km from Ballyferriter. From Dingle to Dun Chaoin via Slea Head will take you approx 45 minutes drive (this is the longest route and is best undertaken in daylight). From Dingle via Baile an Fheirteiraigh will take you approx 30 minutes drive which will bring you along much wider roads. If driving at night time and you are not familiar with the area we would suggest you take the Ballyferriter route. The Hostel is located on the main road just before you turn off for the world famous Blasket/Heritage Centre. This well sign posted Heritage centre is located approx 1 minute drive or 5 minutes walk from the Hostel.

Final Note. They drive on the left.......... mostly!

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Personalised road-books should be e-mailed to every rider tonight... :D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice heads up Panzer :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote "For people who have not travelled much on the road in Southern Ireland please bear in mind that designation like N4 refer to a route and not to a single road so you may have to apparently turn off the road to stay on the route."

Translate into local
if ya not been ere before, ya see dat road der with da pub where I met me dear wife Mary ova tirdy-tree years ago, just beside Mickeys butchers and da bookies....you dont wont dat one, uve gone too far.... ya shuda turned left to stay on da road ya wanted, ya see?!

Be scared, be very scared.... and bring a hurley just to fit in with dem der Kerry men!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
The best time to check them will be tomorrow, as we are riding through on Saturday.
Check them for me Stumpy I'm not around a PC tommorrow although friday rush hour is normally higher than the weekend,

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Check them for me Stumpy I'm not around a PC tommorrow although friday rush hour is normally higher than the weekend,
Friday is quiet as people go out for drinks in the evening so some use other means of travel, Saturday is when everyone including granny is out shopping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both toll bridges in Dublin, (Eastlink near the port and Westlink on the M50), are free for bikes. The Port Tunnel however is not free and depending on the time of day can be as much as 10euro 1 way. All other tolls in the country are about 1 euro for a bike.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Quote "For people who have not travelled much on the road in Southern Ireland please bear in mind that designation like N4 refer to a route and not to a single road so you may have to apparently turn off the road to stay on the route."

Translate into local
if ya not been ere before, ya see dat road der with da pub where I met me dear wife Mary ova tirdy-tree years ago!
I missed this post earlier.

I cant let it slide.

This kind of stereotypical Pyss taking of the Irish accent really really winds me up :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

We say TURTY not tirdy !!!

:toothy1:

(Unless you come from the posh southside of dublin that is :toothy8:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts