Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Does anyone know where I could buy some replacement fixings for my screen?
It had an MRA fitted, so I'm after those black mushrooming thingies.
Pain in the bum those once they're used:rolleyes:
Pain in the bum when you've sprayed them with rubber lubricant; how mant times did I recover them from behind the fairing:(
Anyone know of something similar I could use.
Cheers
John

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
tried the halfords ones, i found I couldn't get them to grip as they were just a smidge too small,they just turned in the hole and could not get them to expand. pity really because they do different colours to match the bike and the blue would have looked less visible.The second option looks better at least they look bigger.Or you could order the honda one's from slvers.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
halford one's are rubbish - as BTbloke said, the rubber bit is too small. The screws need a 3mm allen key and are made of super soft alloy. You can guess how mashed up they soon get. I am on OEM honda one's now, and loads better. Proper name for them is well nuts.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a set of the Halfords ones on my bike and have no problems with them at all.

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll just pop to B&Q and check out the cavity wall rawl plugs as well.:D

John

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I fitted mine because I have more than one screen and the original well nuts were to out of shape, Halfords were the closest shop to get them from so I bought a pack.
I would usually use Original parts as I have found some aftermarket bits are not up to the standard.

·
Thinice
105 Posts
I'm trying to get these out on my screen but they just keep turning round, does any one have a tip on how to get the buggers out?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
two will stay in when you pull the screen up as the screen is grooved not just a couple of holes,the other two can either be pulled out with pliers gently or pushed in and pulled out attached to the screen or retrieved from behind the dash if they fall off (or inside the fairing,a common place for them to end up).

·
Registered
773 Posts
I've got a box of 8 black anodised Oxford screen screws if anyone is interested. Bought them when bodgering DRZ screen, but they didn't get used. Hex key included. Yours for a few squidlies.

Oxford Screen screw kit

PM for more details.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I bought loads of different sizes on ebay.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm trying to get these out on my screen but they just keep turning round, does any one have a tip on how to get the buggers out?

The trouble is with old ones, the brass insert becomes detached from the rubber.

DO NOT try to drill the bolt out, you will melt the fairing.

Gently hold the back of the well nut with some mole grips (do not crush the brass insert as this makes things worse) and then undo the screw as normal.

With the non-Honda type Well Nuts (or Rawlnuts as they're called from some suppliers) you can put a very small dab of superglue between the nut and the fairing. This holds the nut enough for the screw to be turned OK.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I needed a few of these and ordered through the above Ebay link.

They came within 24 hours.

Pack has 10 in it and comes in either 4,5 or 6mm versions. Highly recommended.

Graeme

·
Thinice
105 Posts
Thanks for the advice, and sorry for taking over the thread Windmill John. Managed to get some thin nosed pliers down between the fairing and the screen and hold the nut whilst using a cordless driver on a light ratchet setting. New screen on (with old nuts) and new nuts ordered from ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts